Bye safari, hello firefox.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ploki, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Ploki macrumors 68020

im switching to firefox, because safari works like crap.
    i like safari, ive used it for a year.
    but now its giving me annoying glitches/artifacts all the time, if its my gfx card then i hate apple anyway. but i dont think it is.
    10.5.6, seems to be no solution to this, so im waiting for 10.5.7 on firefox.
    i know that none of you care but just wanted to get it out!

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

which version of safari you are using?

if its 3, try do some reset
    if its 4b, remember its a beta, file a bug report with apple, and wait for the final.

while you are on it, check my signature for the introduction of firefox 3.0.x.

also try out addons such as

1. adblock+, block web ads
    2. cooliris 3D picture wall
    3. fireftp, more advanced ftp client, supporting download/upload within the browser
    4. foxtab supper eye candy tab switch with previews, offering multiple style, flip 3D, 3D wall, etc
    5. firegestures moving mice in the browser to operate it, backward, forwards, reload, new tab, close tab, etc, etc
    6. screengrab saving the whole or portion of webpage into an image.
    7. password exporter, name says it all
    8. autodial list all your most visited website in new tab.
    9. locationbar^2, highlight the domain name, and allow jumping among different level of the domain.
    10. select-n-go, floating layer on a page showing searching result, etc, of selected words.
    11. ubiquity, command line for firefox, portion of it will be making into the default build in the near future

3. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i sometimes get annoyed with safari too, often when watching videos in flash that work fine with firefox, but safari just shows a little lego style block with a ? in it

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm guessing it must be related to your specific setup or your graphics. I've never experienced the things you're talking about. Firefox is great; I used it for many years on Windows and was never unhappy with it. When I switched to Mac, I decided to use only Safari, so I could get as familiar with it as I was with FF. I've been extremely pleased with it, so far. Even more so, with Safari 4 Beta (although I did move my tabs back to the original location... old habits die hard!)

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I use Firefox the most because I like all the add ons. But Safari is a
    little snappier. Had no problems with either browser. Interested
    in trying Google's Chrome when its eventually released for Macs.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. justinkaisse macrumors newbie

2nd to chrome

chrome rocks.

i use FF for win at work now as its what we support, and what we use to open CITRIX sessions, view media, etc.

at home, i'll be using the chrome for mac as soon as i can get my grubby little mitts on a copy. currently, safari for such things that would require a .webarchive (receipts, etc), and FF for everything else.

8. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68020

no im not saying that
    its wierd that only but only safari is doing that, no?
    how can the problem lie within mygraphics if only safari screws the pages up

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Meh. It's good on Windows, but that's only because Safari for Windows is a buggy, bloated mess.

Chrome's JavaScript execution isn't quite as good as Safari's, nor is its rendering performance quite as solid. The build of WebKit that it uses isn't as new as Safari's, and it doesn't support nearly as many cutting-edge standards as recent builds of WebKit do. The only real thing it has going for it is the process-per-tab model (which is *really* cool), but that's more a nice perk than a compelling reason to switch (at least for me, that is.)

Personally, I use FireFox as my main browser. It allows me to cut down the amount of information I disclose to a bare minimum -- with the right mix of extensions, I dodge the storm of privacy-destroying JavaScript, cookies, and Flash cookies that are altogether too common. I don't have to deal with BS overlays or interstitial ads on those sites that think they have the same rights as desktop applications (thanks NoScript!), and I haven't seen an ad in years (thanks ABP!) Pages load faster, layouts look cleaner, and I use much less bandwidth. My browser is more secure (thanks Perspectives!) and harder to manipulate/exploit (thanks again NoScript!). I can modify pages in ways that developers didn't intend for all sorts of cool purposes (thanks Web Developer Extension!), remove anything from any page (thanks RIP!), and look like any browser I want (including Googlebot, thanks User Agent Switcher!) Heck, I don't even worry when someone forgets to make a link -- thanks to Linkification, if someone types out a URL I can automatically convert it to a link. I can download using 10 parallel connections for each of 4 files simultaneously, and can saturate my 100mbit connection (that's 10-11 megaBYTES per second) with my download manager (thanks DownThemAll!)

Remind me again why Chrome is so great?

10. dimme macrumors 65816

I just switched back to Safari from firefox because firefox is just too slow.

11. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Or if its your gfx card, why not hate your refrigerator? :rolleyes:

I use Camino. FF feels too bloated. I don't like the dull grey buttons in Safari, nor the way it opens new windows instead of tabs in some circumstances, no icons in tab bar, "?" does not search and some other minor things. Otherwise it'd probably be my favorite browser. I could probably hack solutions for these, will give it a try when I have time.

12. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68020

hm.
    i run some tests with rivatuner in windoze x64 and now everything went back to normal.
    so.. no more firefox! :D

13. si.romin macrumors newbie

i've tried, believe me, i've tried to work for a few days with Safari 4b/Chrome as my default browser, but there's always something that I miss from Firefox that makes me go back crying to Firefox like a lost baby that has found it's mother in a shopping mall.

Even on Mac, my default browser is Firefox, despite the UI inconsistency, i seem to be magnetized to something about it. Any suggestions are welcome...

Si

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

congratulations, u are safe, whenever safari fails you, there is always warm arm of firefox and my addons list to rescue.

enjoy.

15. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68020

16. manowarwi macrumors member

I got sick of being burned by .x releases of Safari. I support 200+ Macs and have been through ups and downs with it sometimes leading to complete system freezes and some Safari freezes would then kill Mail making the problem even worse. We use network home directories and Safari's caching structure and RSS really seems to drag the machines down. Even with redirecting cache locally we would get strange Safari hangs.

Firefox is bloated, especially if you run it all day and never close it to release memory, but almost always works. I recommend to all of my users to use FF as their primary browser and only go to Safari if they encounter something that just doesn't work in FF (which is few, but some of our work sites). On my managed clients I no longer include Safari on the dock.

17. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68020

im using safari4 currently on the MBP (also 10.5.6) and it works okay.

so i guess its a Safari-nv8800gt-10.5.6 localized bug.

:S
    too bad, i am really used to it. :)

18. si.romin macrumors newbie

People seem to love Firefox for the add-ons, which is the feature I hate most.

I love the browser, but when I'm in a rush and need to get online FAST and then Firefox Updater starts trying to update some pointless extension (that isn't compatible with Firefox 3 anymore anyway) before it lets me use the web is one of the most frustrating features.

This is one feature that I like about Chrome/Safari - it's purely just a browsing experience, no weighty add-ons that need to be updated. Having said that, I find it impossible to switch to anything else! :confused:

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u can uncheck the "auto check for update for addons"

I will leave "autocheck for browser update" on, since security is pretty important. and this auto check is running in background.

Attached Files:

20. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Safari 4b with Wordpress and ConstantContact

Having all sorts of problems working my Wordpress blogsite with Safari 4b, so I've decided to quit fighting and do my WP work in FF until the beta is finished on Safari.

ConstantContact is a slightly different story. Their app only supports FF and IE for anything requiring graphics. That ticks me off a bit at CC as they have decided to not even try and accommodate the growing number of Safari users.