Byline Error

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by nsheikh80, Nov 9, 2008.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I've been using Byline since it was released with no problems. However, the recent 2.0 (of Byline) update has caused me some problems.

Everytime I try to sync Byline it says "Byline received an unexpected response from Google Reader". After this it simply won't sync.

I sent the error message to the developers over a week ago but haven't heard anything back. Can anyone help?

2. gowanis macrumors 6502

i have received that a few times. not sure what the cause is. are you on EDGE? I think you need to use wi-fi with Byline, EDGE is too slow. I have found byline to be very, very buggy. I no longer see the unread badge on my icon. After a sync, my unread doesn't match what google says on my PC.

Try Gazette, it actually works. Byline looks nice, so I'm hoping the next update cleans up a lot of the problems.

3. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I've been using it on WiFi and not EDGE. I will take a look at Gazette but can you tell me if it has a similar Notes feature to Byline? Whereby it downloads the webpage for offline reading.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You see I've found Byline to be the ONLY bug-free solution for Feeds.

Uninstall Byline then install through AppStore. Make sure badges is activated in Settings.

5. gowanis macrumors 6502

i've re-installed a number of times. the tag works for a while but eventually disappears each time and never comes back.

6. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Fixed it.

1. Uninstall on iPhone
    2. Unintsall in iTunes
    3. Sync.
    4. Download in iTunes
    5. Re-sync
    6. Problem fixed

New version of Byline is still not good as the last.

7. gowanis macrumors 6502

i've been using Gazette for a few days now and its much more stable than Byline. The sync is slow, but not as slow as Byline. and when the sync finishes, the number on the badge always matches what Google says. Byline never matched. I also like being able to mark individual feeds as read vs. entire folders.