bypass encoding in order to make a DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbluhp, Nov 3, 2008.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

Is their a way in Toast, iDVD or just about any video making program to bypass encoding from Quicktime files, MP4 files and so on while making them a DVD? I have a 1GHZ 1GB Ram G4 and in Toast it takes a hour to encode just one file and the files are 10 minutes and I have 9 .MP4 files that I am making them into a DVD to watch on TV how to bypass that? Or is their a much easier way? I tried "Burn and FFMPEGX and MPEG Stream Clip" and those were even slower.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Not if you want to make a standard movie DVD - the standard REQUIRES MPEG-2 encoding. For whatever reason this is currently done in software on the Mac, and thus doesn't benefit from hardware acceleration.

3. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so what if I used another program such as FFMPEGX or MPEG Streamclip to convert to MPEG-2 will it be any faster?

Also what if I do a different type of disk and not a standard DVD?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Regarding your first point, I doubt that will help but it's worth a try. As for your second, doing that WILL skip the encoding phase but will also make your DVD unviewable on TV.

5. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How would I skip the encoding phase? Can I make another type of video disk? If so what can I do besides DVD video?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The only way I know of is to make a data DVD with the movie file on it. This obviously won't work for what you're trying to do, so I think you're stuck with what you have now.

7. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I heard it might work but question is do I need to make any special folders like audio or video folders?

Also why when using mpeg streamclip I get error invalid task when converting to MPEG or I get no audio and video to demux when doing that option? The input is .mp4

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You've got me stumped, now. I don't know.

9. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

It's best to just let iDVD or Toast take care of the encoding. There's no way around re-encoding MP4 files if you want the disc to play in a standard DVD player. In my experience, trying to build a DVD video disc yourself only leads to more complications and problems.

Back when I had a PowerBook, my method was to start the encode before I went to bed. The small wonder of computers working on your behalf while you sleep is still not lost on me :cool: