Bypass iPhone PASSCODE???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by crashwins, Oct 28, 2009.

1. crashwins macrumors member

Hi

I recently received an iphone with 3.0 FW (I'm almost positive) that was in a lost and found for 4 months. Everything had been tried to contact the owner (even ATT and the IMEI code), but the guy never came through. We believe he was an international student and is simply gone. Anyway, I don't feel bad about keeping it anymore given all the work we put into finding him and if I dropped it off at an ATT store, someone would probably just pocket it there for himself anyway.

So, the phone has a passcode on it. I've JB an iphone before and had no problem doing it. So how do I bypass the passcode? Should I just use redsnow and the FW like I did before or could I do something to simply eliminate the passcode? I don't care about "nuking" the device and deleting everything, of course. Not sure how to go about it since iTunes won't even go near it so I can't use custom FW like I did before. Anyway, thanks for reading and have a good day

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Explaining how to bypass the code, whether you are being truthful with your story or not, would be against the rules of this site. Unfortunately, you won't find a whole lot of people here willing to help you around a passcode on an iPhone.

3. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

haha...yeah right. nobody is going to help you here. start googling.

4. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

bring it to the apple store maybe they'll help you tracking down the owner.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Odds of the OP doing that: Zero.

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i guess you're only entitled to get your iphone back if you reside in the United States...

weak dude. good luck.

7. Vonswanko macrumors regular

So if you get passed the lock, you're going to call the owners contacts to return it?

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

How did you give them the imei code if it's locked?

9. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Can't you just plug it into iTunes and set it up as a new phone?

10. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I believe iLiberty has a function to bypass the code, but I have no idea if that's even been updated anytime recently, if it will work with 3.0 at all, and if the iPhone needs to jailbroken before it'll work.

EDIT: Ohh, just remembered, putting it in recovery/DFU mode then restoring it in iTunes should work.

11. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Man, a lot of hostility here. The IMEI code is located in the SIM tray. That's how I found it. Not that hard. I'm not a phone thief if that's the implication of some of the remarks here. I'm a grad student and busier than hell. You're telling me b/c some jackass lost his phone I'm supposed to spend all my time trying to locate him/her even if he/she is international or in some other part of the country?

Like I said: I ALREADY followed all the appropriate channels of locating the owner. I even have a manager friend at ATT. I gave him the IMEI number and he said he'd follow up with an email and phone call to the owner. It's been months and nothing. You want me to throw it out?! This guy or girl probably is not in this part of the country anymore or is gone and doesn't care (or has lots of money and certainly another phone). I go to a private college where money is near-infinite for the undergrads...I'm really not feeling bad after doing my best.

12. megadon macrumors 6502

they're just jealous you got it for free..

13. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Turn the phone completely off, then hold down the home and power buttons at the same time until you get a iTunes icon on the screen, then plug it into a computer with iTunes installed and hit "Restore".

[​IMG]
    Simples!

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If it has the SIM in it there is someone tied to that contract. It is trival for AT&T to find out who the owner is considering the owners Address is listed on the contract.

AT&T doesn't sell iPhones without contracts and they collect all that info so they can bill you. If your friend wasn't able to find the information for you any other AT&T store can contact the person.

15. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

International? You don't have to send a letter over on the mayflower to ask the roman guard to dispach a city for city search looking for the owner. Phones can easily reach people from a long ways away... And so can international shipping.

Oh well, I guess it's his fault for losing it and even more his fault for some jerkoff finding it.

Ps. If you don't wanna waste your time trying to find him, then give me the information and I'd be glad to find him for you, maybe a few calls, a trip or two to the AT&T store. Sure it might mean a couple of hours commitment, but I dont mind at all if itll help you find the owner and help the owner find (correction: its been found just not returned) his missing iPhone that I'm sure he spent alot of hard earned money on. Let me know if you want me to help

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I see, keeping a person's iPhone is okay as long as you suspect he might be wealthy. Maybe you need to take an ethics class at that private college of yours.

17. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

all u have to do is.. turn the phone off.. plug it in to the computer. while pluggin it end.. hold the home button for about 20 secs.. you will be able to restore the phone in itunes now... of course all data will be lost

18. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

Such hostility here... Sounds like the OP did what he could... why does everyone assume that everyone on the internet lies? It could be a huge lie, but nobody can know. If you don't want to help, just don't... no reason for attacking someone becuase they could be lying...

19. Cask Guest

He is stating he did his best to find the owner!!! What is he supposed to do now???? Go on a worldwide search for the iPhone's owner??? He found it, tried to contact the owner, wasn't possible then keep it. These "Holier than thou" people are really annoying. Stop being moral police, if you can help this guy's question then do so, otherwise why even bother posting.

20. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

+1

There is actually a law in the UK that if no one collects something you find after a certain time it's yours, and I'd say that a similar moral law would apply here if he did everything he could to find the owner. Plus, as it's been months, the owner will have a new phone now anyway.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No where does the OP even say it was an AT&T sim.

I don't know if it's a lie but some of the bashers are making statements based on guesses !

It has been my past experience that some companies are unwilling to make such contacts, I tried to return a found pager thru a local outlet and the pager company refused to take it and refused to make any attempt to notify their customer. Why, I have no idea, probably wanted to sell him a new pager. :confused:

The thing is still sitting in a drawer in my desk to this day after many years, unused.

22. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

Oh Wow! You found my phone…Can I have it back? :D

23. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If I had to take a guess... I'd say iPhones Stolen >> iPhones Lost.

If it is the case that the phone was lost and AT&T couldn't find the original owner then that's about all you can do. You might as well use it and not throw it away.

People are always skeptical though because the assumptions are that the person either stole it or they just lied about doing all they could do.

See how easy it is on the internet.

I just found an iPhone with wings on it yesterday. It had a Sprint SIM in it so I plugged it into my computer and it gave me the owner's facebook page. I went to his house and he didn't answer so I'm going to try to use it. Advice on bypassing the encryption?

OMG!!! Did my pokerface fool you? Nobody here knows if he is telling the truth and nobody would want to have this happen to their phone. Can't blame them for their reactions.

24. Cask Guest

Yes it is very easy to lie on the Internet, but you can't go around thinking everything you read is a lie, especially things like this that don't affect you in any way. Sure the guy probably stole it and is making all this up, but we have no way of actually know that. All we have is this guy's word, if you don't believe him like I said don't bother replying, you don't have to do that either. But judging someone because they might be saying a lie without actually knowing it is wrong.

25. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I agree judging them is pointless. Lots of people do steal things.

But in the case that they were being honest and did want to try to get the phone to the real owner of the device, any new advice on how it could be done would likely be helpful.