Bypass passcode/Touch ID iOS 8.0.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Raska, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Raska macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but on accident, I was able to bypass my passcode on my iPhone 6 Plus using Siri.

The steps are as follows:

1. Activate Siri.
    2. Search for an app in the App Store.
    3. The App Store launches without asking for a passcode.
    4. Hitting the home button closes the App Store and goes to Springboard.

I tried the same steps but looking up a song in iTunes and it did ask me for a passcode there.

Has anyone else encountered this, or can anyone else try this to confirm?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Touch ID unlocks your device when you use Siri. Did you try it with finger that isn't saved?

3. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

He said he tried the same looking up a song, and it required the passcode there though.

4. Phoboss macrumors member

Just tried it, doesn't work. As soon as Siri wants to open the AppStore, it asks for my Passcode.

5. Raska thread starter macrumors 6502

As soon as I activated Siri from the lock screen, I removed my finger from the home button so it wouldn't automatically unlock with Touch ID. It still bypassed the lock.

6. RMSko macrumors 6502

That won't do it b/c the length of time it takes to activate Siri is enough to unlock via TouchID. I just tried it with a finger that is programmed and with one that isn't. With the programmed finger I removed it very quickly and it behaved as you highlighted, i.e., went right to the Apple Store. However, when I used a finger that was not programmed it asked for my password or for TouchID.

7. jhuynh macrumors member

It's supposed to do that if you use a finger that is registered for TouchID to start Siri. It will use that information to open an app without having to unlock the device again. Try it with a non-registered finger and it will ask you to log in first.

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Bypass passcode/Touch ID iOS 8.0.2

Yeah you unlocked it even before Siri came up when you held the home button down. Touch ID probably takes 1/10 of the time it takes for Siri to activate.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That's all the time Touch ID needs. Try it with a finger not registered at all with Touch ID.

10. Raska thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is performing the exact same steps with a song on the iTunes Store requests a passcode/Touch ID whereas the App Store does not.

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

If it happened exactly as you described, the problem is no longer a security flaw but too much security in some cases then. In any case, it changes the entire direction of the discussion.

12. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

What is this, like the 10th thread about being able to bypass security with Siri? Stop activating Siri with a finger programmed in TouchID and this "security flaw" goes away.

/thread