Bypass/ short headphone jack 2010 MacBook Pro A1278

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duster1, May 22, 2014.

1. duster1 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a damaged headphone jack on a MacBook Pro. It causes the computer to think that digital output is on. I have played with the jack and can't get the switch to go back to built-in speakers. Is there a way to bypass the headphone jack completely by soldering a wire? If so, what fuses do I need to solder?

Thanks for your help. It's really frustrating to hear a startup chime but not have any speakers in the OS. I have reinstalled, looked for a red light, etc. and think my only option is either a new logic board or to figure out how to bypass the jack.

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I had the same issue on the same MBP. I finally took it to Apple (this was ~2 weeks ago) and found the repair was a lot cheaper than buying a logic board off eBay for DIY. They charged me $280 and not only replaced the logic board but also replaced the screen (mine had a bunch of dead pixels) and top cover (which was really beat up) as well as the speakers plus gave me a 90 day full warranty. Logic boards were mostly way more than that plus the install isn't very simple.

Personally, since this is a known issue as it is all over the web I feel they should have replaced the board at no cost but I didn't complain since they replaced the display and speakers as well. Looks like brand new now.