Bypassing sig check

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by palz, May 28, 2010.

1. palz macrumors regular

I have been trying to build my own ipsw many times, but when I restore to it, I get into a recovery mode loop. Here's what iTunes says:
    Extracting Software...
    Verifying restore with Apple...
    Preparing iPod for restore...
    Wating for iPod...
    Then: SHAZAM! Error code.

What I did for this ipsw is:
    -Decrypted the root fs
    -Decompressed the root fs
    -Added a few mods to plists
    -Compressed the root fs
    -Packaged into an ipsw

I've heard that even if it fails like that, the OS has been installed. If this is true, how do I get out?

RecBoot gets INTO a rec. mode loop, but can't seem to get me out.
    iRecovery rarely detects my device (and when it does, setenv auto-boot true and saveenv don't do crap)
    Oh, and it also doesn't work to restore when in DFU mode.
    This is all due to some kind of signature check, right?

I also read a tweet by @p0sixninja about idevicerecovery for linux, that somehow forces the device to accept the firmware (he did it for 4.0 beta 4 on a 3G). If that will let me do this, i'm a noob at compiling. Tutorial please?

Ok I'm done now...
    Please share your wisdom, and please don't infract me for this post ;P

2. hockeyhammer macrumors regular

im not a hacker or dev. but i do remember when everyone was cracking the iphone os 3 betas if there device wasn't registered they would turn off their wifi (or unplug the ethernet cable) on the computer and then install the ipsw, don't reconect to the internet until u disconnect the iphone. idk, might work, might not.

3. palz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but then it will give an error message because the software update server cannot be contacted.