Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
An educational / learning program automatically starts when I turn on the computer. I don't want to remove it completely, but I'd like to access the computer itself. Is there a way to bypass the program and be on the desktop? I know nothing about Macs.

pdubak

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
How about you get on a computer that your allowed to mess with. Seriously, i'd help you but if this was actually your computer you would know how to bypass this.

knoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
IMac issues

The computer belongs to my girlfriend's kids. They love to play the educational games on it. She and her husband are no longer together, and she asked me if I could make it internet ready for her kids. But I know nothing about Macintosh computers. I can't even make it go to the desktop. I didn't realize that Mac owners only share their information with other Mac owners. Sorry.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
After the educational / learning program starts, there are a few ways you can try to get it to quit (or not start):
  • Press command-Q.
  • Look for an icon for the program in the dock at the bottom of the screen. Control-click on the icon and pick Quit.
  • Press option-command-escape, select that application, and click Force Quit.
  • Hold the shift key down while the computer boots.
If none of those work, other choices include booting the computer from a Mac OS X DVD and booting the computer in "target disk mode" while it's cabled to another Mac.

If you can tell us the name of the program and/or what kind of Mac it is, that might help narrow down the choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.