Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
There is a thread, maybe more than one, on this site about how to deal with fan issues (the fan running at full speed) after installing an SSD.

The problem with this topic is that it seems every post on this subject is about two to three years old. Also now if you bring up the subject everyone will tell you about one of a few software solutions.

So what I'm wondering about is how to by pass the HDD fan sensor on a late-2012 27-inch iMac. I have heard that you can short the sensor and by doing that bypass the fan problems (since this is what Apple does when they install an SSD.

But I have never seen a picture of this before. Or an explanation of specifically how to do it.

Any information about how to bypass the HDD fan sensor with a hardware solution (please no software solutions), would be greatly appreciated.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
There is a thread, maybe more than one, on this site about how to deal with fan issues (the fan running at full speed) after installing an SSD.

The problem with this topic is that it seems every post on this subject is about two to three years old. Also now if you bring up the subject everyone will tell you about one of a few software solutions.

So what I'm wondering about is how to by pass the HDD fan sensor on a late-2012 27-inch iMac. I have heard that you can short the sensor and by doing that bypass the fan problems (since this is what Apple does when they install an SSD.

But I have never seen a picture of this before. Or an explanation of specifically how to do it.

Any information about how to bypass the HDD fan sensor with hardware (please no software solutions), would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what the sensor looks like on a 2012 iMac. But on my 2010 iMac, I took the controller board from a bad HDD and plugged the temp sensor into it and used two-sided tape to stick it to the SSD. Works like a charm and the fan stays at about 1100 rpms without the need for software control.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
So what I'm wondering about is how to by pass the HDD fan sensor on a late-2012 27-inch iMac.

I wouldn't recommend bypassing the sensor or shorting it out, I would recommend using the external sensor available from OWC or if you don't want to spend the additional money use a software program to control the fans directly there's several available.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
For an SSD, bypassing is fine since it doesn't generate much heat.

While I agree regarding the heat, Personally I wouldn't do the method you have outlined above and I would just choose to do it in software. OP didn't want a software solution so I provided an alternative hardware method.

In the end I be curious to know what solution the OP chose.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.