C&C on Portfoilo Website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by omgitskevin, Jul 23, 2009.

1. omgitskevin macrumors member

www.kevinmichaeldesigns.com

This is my first portfolio website I have created and I am constantly updating it. For now my portfolio is empty, I lost alot of data in a HDD crash of epic proportions. I will being adding some designs and motion graphic work as well as photography in the coming weeks. I love constructive criticism and feedback so love it or hate it let me know what you think.

I am in my 2nd year as a web-designer working on my BA in Interactive Web Design with hopes of a minor of some sort in photography.

Thanks in advance

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I'd like to check your site again after you add more content. For now...

Technical issues:

17 HTML errors, some major, validating your site
    9 CSS errors validation your site
    Might want to add meta description and keyword tags for SEO assistance
    I suggest putting all styles in a stylesheet, not inline
    Shorten the height of the large graphic by 50-100 pixels

Design and Content:

It's simple, maybe classic "less is more" put into action which is refreshing, but it's lacking any uniqueness or individuality, and the dark menu system seems like it was added on after the fact. With so much whitespace and no bordering involved, the site does not seem visually stimulating, and it is possible to do so without clutter, pizazz or annoyance.

The first two images on the bottom should stretch to fill the width just like the second two images do, so the text is full justified in the expanse.

Not a big fan of the text size and font below the 4 images on the bottom, should be bigger and more readable, arguably less text. Also, add links to the various organizations listed, or at least maybe tool tips to describe in more depth those links when moused over. Make clear the 4 images and text on the bottom are your PROJECTS you've done - not to be confused as advertising or affiliations you have.

Overall, I cannot tell the purpose of the site at first glance (when it's most important to grab the attention of a visitor and potential client) i.e. you should add some verbiage at the top to describe what you do, company credo or tagline.

The image you selected in the middle, the car, is pretty but it appears simply to be a digitized photo - I don't see "design" aspects that tie into your profession, i.e. work you've done. Just a cool logo which does not help tell your story or show your skills. I personally don't like the photo anyway due to the limited focal range and are you selling rims or tires or a fancy car show?

Add footer links including privacy policy, copyright, browser requirements, TOS, a means to download in PDF any brochures or literature, and text links of the menu nav system for accessibility and ease of navigation.

-jim