C&C on these photos please!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Prodo123, May 8, 2012.

1. Prodo123, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I think I'm starting to get the hang of composition. These are some boring shots I took, and I tried to compose them as best as I could. No cropping at all (other than leveling).
    Although photography classes are offered at my school, I really can't attend the classes so I'm trying to self-learn everything (I've gotten to the point where I'm restricted by the limits of my crop kit). I really would appreciate your expertise. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Flowers on the sidewalk

[​IMG]
    More flowers

[​IMG]
    Stonehenge

[​IMG]
    Audio engineer at work

[​IMG]
    Movado improvised studio shot (copy paper for background & filling, white lamp for lighting...)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe you could explain a bit more what you were going for with these shots, because you are right - they are all pretty boring. I also don't see why you seem to be averse to cropping. There's nothing wrong with cropping.

Would have fooled me. Different equipment is not going to make these pictures more exciting.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I think it's good that you are trying to get the composition right in-camera, rather than relying too heavily on cropping. There's nothing wrong with a little fine tune, but it is good technique and good shot discipline to maximize the resolution of your shots by fully utilizing the entire area of your sensor.

The flower shots are alright but nothing really compelling. #2 seems focused too near (most of the central bundle is OOF).

The stonehenge shot is nice, it's nothing groundbreaking but pictures don't always have to be. Sometimes it's just nice to get "your" capture of a popular scene or landmark. If you are going to frame this tightly I'd try to center it a little better next time, or try using a wider focal length to "place" it in its setting a little better, and perhaps add some dynamics by putting it off center.

The audio engineer shot has potential, the rows of switches make good leading lines. But I am confused by your choice of focal point. What is your subject here?

Looks like possible focus error on the watch, or you need to stop down more to get better DOF, as the watch is not fully captured in sharp detail. I would also have removed the silica gel packet as it is a distraction.

Like miles01110, I'd also argue that none of these are being limited by your gear.

Ruahrc

4. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Composition doesn't work in isolation. It works with all the other tools of the photographic trade: light, colour, tone, perspective, depth of field, etc.

The photographic classes at school might help you to gain a level of competence in weeks, whereas the 'teach yourself' route might take you months. Don't blame your equipment...

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Isn't perspective part of composition? Things such as colour, light, tone, dof etc aren't necessarily things we can control with all cameras.

6. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Well, to me, these are just some of the building blocks of photography. I don't differentiate between natural phenomena - such as light - and the technical 'camera-based' stuff. Everything has to come together - technique and our our own sensibilities - to create successful photos. We have more control than we sometimes think... :)

7. breezie macrumors member

This can't be true. I've seen some amazing pictures from the kit lens.

8. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

IMO Compositionally they are all mostly fine....not keen on two. The subjects could be more exciting though.....(have you thought about HDR to make them pop and save them :p:p:):D...sorry Doylem couldn't resist!!)

A simple thing to remember when using the rule of thirds is if the sky is dull make the ground 2/3 if the ground is dull and the sky exciting make the sky 2/3...Just look through the photo of the day thread...its full of lots of examples of this..

The DJ shot is very good, really like that :)

If you can make the photography class, it would help you endlessly