C&C On This Photo

hmp169

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012

Straight up, tell me your exact thoughts after seeing this photo.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Dull to be honest. I like the overall concept but with a huge sea of blackness and minimal subject it is a bit of a turn off for me. I'd have preferred to see more subject.
What were you aiming to achieve? Are you happy with it?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Doesn't really do much for me, but that's just personal taste.

I understand the low-key, silhouette thing, but I wonder if it isn't too much. There is so little information here that the viewer struggles to even identify the subject.

Also the yellow-green tint, was that done on purpose? I don't see where that aspect really adds. Perhaps B+W instead?

One last specific, I would clone out the little puff of smoke that's in the middle. I think it serves as a focal point for the eye, and distracts the viewer.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
It is a bit hard to identify the subject. If there was a bit more lighting on the face it might be easier. I like the yellow/black look myself.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
the picture is too wide so on the left theres too much empty space, colour wise i would keep it the same, just maybe not have so much empty space..

good pic otherwise, did take me a while to see what it actually was though lol

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Interesting... When I fist opened up this thread I was reading your text under the photo. From what I could see in my peripheral vision I thought it was a saxophone. Funny how the mind works sometimes. :)

When I looked straight at it I saw the smoke but it took a second before I noticed the face. Then I looked down and realized it was a jacket.

I do like the color but not sure about the background as mentioned above. I haven't decided if there is too much black or not.

Overall I do like it.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
I love it, fantastic shot, I also don't mind the colour tint. A screen probably isn't the best place to view it, but printed A2 or bigger and framed I think it'd look fantastic.

odagled2004

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Obviously I'm no pro, but as others have mentioned it is a bit difficult to see what the actual subject is at first. I think a bit more of his face would help.