C&C request - Car photos - 1st time.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
IMHO it's a lot easier to give helpful feedback if you select one or two photos and ask for specific comments. Trying to evaluate 20 photos as a set is too generalized.

Comment

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My first time at a car rally this weekend, tried to get a mix of action and detail.

A little PP in iphoto.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtpalmi/sets/72157629803616216/

I'd welcome any comments as I'm always keen to learn.

Thanks guys!

R
1) Edit the set down. Show only your best work.

2) Close ups of logos hardly counts as "photography", take those out.

3) Look at the parameter of the car. In half the shots you got it right but in others there is a person or another car attached to the perimeter that spoils the shot. Either wait for a clear shot, discard those shots or move the camera.

Before you snap the shutter follow the outline of the car all around and check that it is clear. Same with the viewfinder frame but a s=mistake there can be cropped later so it is not a bad.

4) you picked the best weather, over cast and cloudily is perfect. Much harder if the sun of out in the clear sky.

Comment

Rich-212

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Ruahrc and Chris, thanks for the comments.

I'll bear that in mind next time and keep it to a minimum!

Chris, I understand what you're saying about the car perimeter - and distractions generally. It was a busy day and difficult to get a shot without anyone in it looking through a window etc but I guess I need a bit more patience!

About the sky, I tried to recover some detail using the 'highlight' slider in iphoto but didn't want to get an HDR type effect - I hope I got the balance about right.

Miles -thanks for your time. I know they aren't amazing which is why I'm asking for C&C and didn't post them in the 'Photo of the day' thread!

Comment

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Just a thought... Ironically, a car rally may not be the best opportunity to photograph cars. As you say, there are people milling around, the cars are close together, you'll feel rushed. If cars are your passion, maybe find someone with a car that you could take more time to photograph, perhaps in different locations.

Comment

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
If getting a clear frame is a problem, you can take multiple exposures of the same composition when varying parts of the frame are free of people, then blend them together in photoshop to create a people-free image.

You'll likely need a tripod for this though, since you have to keep the framing exactly the same otherwise blending the images will be hard.

I have used this technique a few times, once when visiting a state capitol where I couldn't get a clear shot of the interior without random people milling around.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.