C&C request - Car photos - 1st time.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich-212, May 19, 2012.

1. Rich-212 macrumors member

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

IMHO it's a lot easier to give helpful feedback if you select one or two photos and ask for specific comments. Trying to evaluate 20 photos as a set is too generalized.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

1) Edit the set down. Show only your best work.

2) Close ups of logos hardly counts as "photography", take those out.

3) Look at the parameter of the car. In half the shots you got it right but in others there is a person or another car attached to the perimeter that spoils the shot. Either wait for a clear shot, discard those shots or move the camera.

Before you snap the shutter follow the outline of the car all around and check that it is clear. Same with the viewfinder frame but a s=mistake there can be cropped later so it is not a bad.

4) you picked the best weather, over cast and cloudily is perfect. Much harder if the sun of out in the clear sky.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. Rich-212 thread starter macrumors member

Ruahrc and Chris, thanks for the comments.

I'll bear that in mind next time and keep it to a minimum!

Chris, I understand what you're saying about the car perimeter - and distractions generally. It was a busy day and difficult to get a shot without anyone in it looking through a window etc but I guess I need a bit more patience!

About the sky, I tried to recover some detail using the 'highlight' slider in iphoto but didn't want to get an HDR type effect - I hope I got the balance about right.

Miles -thanks for your time. I know they aren't amazing which is why I'm asking for C&C and didn't post them in the 'Photo of the day' thread!

6. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Just a thought... Ironically, a car rally may not be the best opportunity to photograph cars. As you say, there are people milling around, the cars are close together, you'll feel rushed. If cars are your passion, maybe find someone with a car that you could take more time to photograph, perhaps in different locations.

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

If getting a clear frame is a problem, you can take multiple exposures of the same composition when varying parts of the frame are free of people, then blend them together in photoshop to create a people-free image.

You'll likely need a tripod for this though, since you have to keep the framing exactly the same otherwise blending the images will be hard.

I have used this technique a few times, once when visiting a state capitol where I couldn't get a clear shot of the interior without random people milling around.