C&C These Shots (Please!)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AirborneAngel, Nov 18, 2010.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I like the ideas of both very much. Nevertheless, I have some constructive criticism for both:

The light on the first one draws the attention to the left (that's where it's shining to), but there's very little space. If you reshoot that picture, can you do it from 60° clockwise (with the light being the center)? Or is the building out of frame then?

The second one: why are the flowers pointing away from the observer? Maybe it'd look better if they pointed to the front. Probably a slight DoF adjustment, I like how the thorns are blurred, but not that the second flower is entirely out while the first is completely in.

Hope that helps!

2. mattjk macrumors newbie

I like the first one. The focus/shallow DoF makes the light look superimposed. Minor criticism is that I wouldn't print and hang it as I think there's too much background on show with no features or interest.

Second one I don't like as much but it's got some interest due to the textures and thorns. I agree with pit29 that the flowers are pointing the wrong way - I just want to turn it around. I don't think I'd be concerned with the DoF though as long as one of the flowers is in focus tastefully. Maybe a little too dark for my liking in the bottom left, there's too much detail/texture missing.

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I know I am going to come across like an a$$, but I don't like either.. the streetlamp is a nice DOF play but a pointless subject, the lines don't flow and the background is uninteresting. The Thorn picture is just a play with DoF and the flowers are, as mentioned, the wrong way around.
    I don't know... As a constructive criticism, the lamp pole could be more interesting from a different angle with an angry sky in view and maybe some rain to show the light coming from the lamp. The thorn picture: Turn the flowers around, maybe set them a few cm apart and have them slightly facing each other but separated by some thorns on the trunk...you know.. almost together but not.

Just comments.. don't take them too seriously...

//F

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I agree with flossy- nothing that grabs me about either. Both rather uninspired to my eye. The light post says nothing, and has nothing really to pffer- to texture, no subtlety... the thorns has nice boken, but I think the exposure could be a bit better. Too much white space in both. Nice that they are both black-to-white in exposure, but could be better adjusted.

In an exhibition, I would walk righr by both of these, they just do not speak to me or grab me.

5. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

I do not like either also. Neither image, has anything that truly stands out. Plus the color processing isn't doing anything for the images either.

6. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Of the two I'd say the streetlamp one has more potential but both are not very strong as they are. I don't really see the draw of the thorn shot, but in the lamppost I can see the play on light and dark, and the symmetry of the background. What bothers me is that the lamppost is crooked, and the bulb facing the wrong way. If it were straight, and the bulb were pointing into the picture instead of out of it, and the building in the background perfectly bifurcated the background it might be a little more interesting due to the found symmetry. Especially with the lighter highlights on the building itself providing a light contrasting element in the lower right which opposes the dark contrasting element (lamppost) in the upper left. The sky also has some hot spots in it that distract. If they could be re-worked to be smoother, or toned down it might help too.

Just my $0.02, but that's what great about photography there are so many different styles that not everybody has to like everything and everybody has their own style.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I checked out the rest of the photographs...some of them are really really good. :)