C&C - Windsurfing and Kitesurfing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patriks7, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I took these pictures on my recent vacation to Mallorca, Spain. The photos have been edited in Aperture 3. Any advice on what I could've done differently or what I can change in my editing?
    I also have some more photos, but haven't finished editing them as I've been on the move a lot lately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The colors really look unnatural on the bottom two.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

C & C? They look pretty good to me. No 1 is a really effective composition, made better by seeing the guy's face & expression. The pic just works. It would make a great poster, IMO, or a DPS in a magazine (plenty of room for text on the right).

No 2 doesn't work for me. The face is hidden and, though you've caught a moment, the pic doesn't 'say' windsurfiung like no 1...

The other two are fine. I've tried to shoot kite-surfers myself, not very successfully. :( The panoramic approach gives a great 'wish you were there' feel and each pic has a 'dominant' figure, which catches the eye.

4. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I like them. Favourite has to be number one although I also like the panoramic approach on the bottom two.

5. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Really? They seem to be fine on my 3 Macs and my external monitor I tried. Could you be more specific?

Thanks. No. 1 has become one of my pictures I've ever taken (well, I've only had the camera for barely a year). I've exactly tried to achieve the "'wish you were there' feel" with the panoramas; glad to see it worked. :D

I have to say, kitesurfers are seem very hard to shoot. You need very good positioning, otherwise all you get is pictures of backs. I ended up taking around 1k pictures the day I took this, most of them of kitesurfers, but I feel the couple I have of windsurfers are much better. Hopefully I can find one or two kitesurfing pictures I really like by the time I finish editing everything. I just have to stop postponing the editing...:rolleyes:

Thanks! Looks like no. 1 is the favorite one of almost everyone I showed my set to. To be honest, I'm actually amazed I managed to take such a shot as it's done without any cropping, and this was the first time I shot windsurfers and kitesurfers.

6. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

The crop is really close. Most people I talk to seem to want to see some of the background around my subjects.. although if you were shooting for a magazine this is probably exactly what they would want. In my opinion, image one is over saturated and image two is lacking saturation especially in the water. Not sure if this was your intention, but it appears so on my calibrated ips monitors.

Great action shots overall, I wish your other links were still working too!:)

8. Captpegleg macrumors member

The shots seem to be elevated, where you shooting from and what were you using?

9. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't managed to calibrate my monitor properly yet so it is possible that the first one is over saturated. However, in the second one, it was intended. I actually had a very good reason for it when I did it, but can't seem to remember it. So I'll just say I was bored of all the color pictures and didn't think B&W worked for it, so I chose something between... :confused:

I tried cropping them less, but the problem is that since they were quite close, most of the background is water, which I thought didn't help the subject much. But I will try re-cropping it again.

I just re-uploaded the other links so they should be working now. :D

I was shooting from here
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5007135837_69b6ed847a_z.jpg
    It's marked with the read arrow. As the description says, it was on the outside of the port wall where there are huge rocks which I could stand on. I could've gotten a bit lower, but I just didn't want to risk my gear since there were some waves splashing around. The equipment I used was a Canon 40D with the kit 55-250 IS (quite a good lens for the price!) and all of it was shot handheld.

10. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I also added new photos to my main post so they are all together.

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real