C++ developers need some help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lankanwarrior, Aug 29, 2012.

1. lankanwarrior macrumors newbie

Hello

I am entering my third year in my CS undergrad and will have to face courses such as Algorithms II and Operating Systems. I am looking to buy a retina mac and I was wondering what is the best IDE?

Since this is my first mac, will I need to have Linux as a VM. Can I do everything in Linux in Mac?

Also how much space should be dedicated for Windows. I want to use Mac primarly for Office. No gaming.

Thanks ! (Btw I'm getting base retina)

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The Linux VM will do everything you need it to do. Windows on a VM will do the same, or if you do it bootcamp it will just be native via bootable option. You can dedicate as much space as you want, I only gave it 20GB.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It depends on what flavor of C++ development you will be doing, but if you install XCode you will have the GCC and LLVM tools right in OSX. I believe XCode supports code completion with C++ as well.

4. iDerp macrumors newbie

I also study CS and switched to mac. I had to boot a Linux VM 2-3 times for some small stuff, lets say a certain tool for AI testing or whatever. Everything else i could find or compile for mac. Obviously it depends what stuff you do, but for the most part you should be fine.

Checkout the most common OSX package managers, maybe you even find the software you need:
    http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
    and
    http://www.macports.org/

5. tenshu2k macrumors member

Did CS as well. Our lab machines were all SunOS clients (I swear it really wasn't even that long ago). You should be able to use whatever your class recommends, like Emacs.

Xcode is free and pretty good.

You can probably find a port or compile virtually anything else Eclipse, Textedit, Vim...