c++ in Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ncook06, Oct 4, 2007.

1. ncook06 macrumors regular

I have had immense amounts of trouble editing and compiling c++ in Xcode. I have version 2.4.1 installed. I'm sure it's just something stupid that I'm doing.

Can someone please go over a step-by-step process of starting a .cpp file in Xcode? I'm using both the standard library and a .h graphics library that one of my professors wrote.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The problem could be from the this "graphics library" from your professor. Most likely it's Windows code in there that won't compile on the Mac.

3. toddburch macrumors 6502a

I always start with File>New Project, then scroll down to Command Line utility > C++ Tool.

Then, paste your code into the main.cpp file.

Todd

4. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

He wrote it to compile in unix on his server, so I doubt it would be a problem. But what do I know? :) That's why I'm asking. I'm just wondering if I need to open it somewhere specific in Xcode.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If that's the case, it probably is standard code then, unless he's using a GUI kit like GTK+, Qt, or similar (which I doubt).

Are you getting any errors? If so, it would help to post them. If not, it may be easier to start over with toddburch's directions.