C/S/SE iphone models depreciating faster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Annajules, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Annajules macrumors newbie

A search on completed Ebay listings revealed that 2nd hand iphone 5c phones actually go for lower than iphone 5 of the same storage capacity. Even retailers such as Amazon and Gazelle buying iphones value the 5c less than the 5. Considering that both have the same internals and iphone 5's are older than 5c -- hence more likely to have less life left, I wonder why buyers still prefer the 5.

Comparing 5, 5S and 6, the resale value of 5S is closer to that of 5. For example, max trade-in value at Gazelle for unlocked 16GB versions:

5: $65
    5C: $45
    5S: $80
    6: $135
    6S: $200

Iphone 6 is worth 32.5% less than 6S.
    Iphone 5S is worth 41% less than 6.
    Iphone 5 is worth 19% less than 5.
    Iphone 5C is worth less than 5!

Prices go higher on Ebay but I do notice that the S version is more similar in pricing to its predecessor than successor.

Iphone SE 64GB retail price dropped $50 within 6 months.

In this sense, wouldn't it be best to skip the S/C models and upgrade to full versions?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

In the sense of resale value it may be best to skip those models. But realistically resale value shouldn't be a major factor to consider when buying a phone.

3. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

So many things vary based on the pricing. Age, battery condition, physical condition, current iOS software installed, etc.

You did bring up a pretty good point about the 5c. They became insignificant rather quickly.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There is no way of exactly knowing what to upgrade to for the sake of resale.

Resale value is solely based on the buyer. Factoring conditions of the iPhone, Storage tier, how long has the model been available on the market, demand for that specific model, etc. Those are the real factors that determine value.

5. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

When I buy a bunch of shares of Netflix (NFLX:US) or something similar, yes, I do care about their value when I sell them. When I buy an iPhone SE? Not much.

I view iPhone purchases as an expense. It's a cost for consumer item that will depreciate in value quickly.

An iPhone is a consumable good.

Just buy whatever phone you like, enjoy it while you use it and then sell it when you no longer have a need for it. But don't treat it like Class B shares of Berkshire-Hathaway.

6. Annajules thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the iphone SE 64GB when the price went down to $449, making it within my budget. If something is within my budget, I don't care much about the resale value. However, if buying a phone that is over my budget, I have to consider how much I can recoup after using it. Before I made my decision, I did ponder about getting the iphone 7 32GB for $649. I think I *might* be able to recoup $200 after 2 years of usage bringing my nett spend down to $449 but it's not guaranteed so I stuck with the iphone SE instead.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2017 ---
    Although resale value isn't the most important factor for me, it is relevant enough on a $649 phone. Thanks for confirming-- in this case I better stick to full number models.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said, its a phone OP.
    You're not buying investment property to do a flip later.
    I enjoy my device and as long as it does what I need it to do good then Im not worried if it will lose $20-50 in resale value later.