C2D 1.6 worth the money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hell0W0rld, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hell0W0rld macrumors regular

Is the 1.6 worth the 78 € or is there no noticeable difference compared to the standart 1.4 C2D?

2. yly3 macrumors 6502

For daily light use it shouldn't be any difference. But when you need more power or for future OS updates it does worth it.

3. iPave macrumors member

iPave

I'm quite sure that 4GB ram upgrade has much more impact on performance. Remember, you can't add it afterwards.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have the 1.4 and its way faster then i thought it would be. im obsessed with ssd's now. overall i like my baseline but to be honest getting a refurbished ultimate model wouldnt have been much more then what i paid for the retail baseline. so i kinda regret it in terms of bang for the buck. windows 7 runs super speedy as well. i may buy an ultimate version and put just windows on this baseline and sell it to my sister as a travel machine.

5. donster28 macrumors 65816

I had the opportunity to own the base 1.40 and now I have the ultimate 1.60. One thing I noticed is that the 1.60 has smoother HD playback (including from Youtube and Vimeo). The 1.40 HD playback is good enough for a lot of people and it doesn't chop that much, but for videophiles, the 1.60 is the way to go.

I also had the chance to edit in Final Cut Express 4 on the slower 1.40, and you know what, it's not bad, I didn't notice lag during editing and it was buttery smooth.

I hope this helps. :)