c2d Macbook pro VS i7 Asus gaming notebook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThReMiX, Oct 16, 2011.

1. ThReMiX macrumors member

OK I know this is not a "real" comparison, but I would like some thought and opinions... I have an Asus g73 Gaming notebook, and even though it's a i7 and had a crazy good graphics card, freezes up a lot, and the trackpad does not work, when I plug in my phone it will not recognize it... I get spyware all the time.

Here's the thing, I don't really game, and the fact that windows is always freezing up, is no fun at all.... core i7 my butt :rolleyes: 6g of RAM... sounds good on paper. I really like this computer but I think the only thing I would miss is the 17" screen... aaand maybe the awesome loud speakers.

On to a Mackbook, I can get a 2010 13" macbook pro for $700 so the price is good, core 2 duo bothers me but, thats because windows has me thinking I NEED i7, I would think OSX doesn't require crazy specs to run great, but I don't know I've only had a macbook once for about a month.

So I'm thinking of selling my asus and buying the macbook... I know this is a mac forum so it would lean more one way, but maybe some of you can look at this objectively, or are in the same boat as I am... It's kind of a big change for me, and I'm not sure about leaving my monster pc for a mac would make me happy.... any thought? TRY NOT TO FLAME ME!! lol :D

2. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you already know, but it's not your best bet asking this on here, to be honest.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What are you using the computer for, if not for games? I've got a 13" Core2Duo MacBook Pro and its great :D When I need a bigger screen and more power I hop over to my 21.5" i3 iMac. But for 95% of stuff the MBP suffices!

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Classic Mac vs. PC debate... If you are fed up with your PC and want a computer that is more reliable IMO go with the MacBook Pro.

5. ThReMiX, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

ThReMiX thread starter macrumors member

no gaming... school work, surfing, downloading music and movies, rooting and jailbreaking phones, reading, playing some games now and then, but I see that the MB can play some games no problem, I do like the fact that the vent on my pc is in the back, does the MBP get HOT? I use it on my lap 99% of the time.

Also how is the speakers on the 2010 2.4ghz MBP? I bought it and it is on it's way, I will play with both and decide, but I would love your opinios, no matter how "anti PC" they may be... lol I am getting there guys, really! lol

also, do I need the i5 if all I am doing is the stuff listed? I dont really do any graphics design, maybe some quick page layout... would hte c2d be to slow?

6. negativzero macrumors 6502

I would suggest going for a 2011 MBP instead if your budget permits. Skip the C2D MacBooks, those can be slow as molasses sometimes, especially if you need to multitask.

7. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

For your needs, both laptops should suit your needs just fine.

8. xpcker macrumors regular

i'll choose a refurbished 2011 macbook pro if u live in states, theyre great!

i also dont recommend too much c2d but if you wanna go with it, putting an ssd really improves performance, you can buy a 30gig for 80 bucks and a caddy ang get rid off you optibay, thats what i use and its great!

2011 mbp rocks really, the processor is great!

9. No1up, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

No1up macrumors regular