Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
"Police have given their backing to a gadget that sends out an ultra high-pitched noise that can be heard only by those under 20 and is so distressing it forces them to clutch their ears in discomfort."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...6.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/02/16/ixportal.html

So maybe you are just younger than the rest of us? :D

OMG, what a device! And the inventor used his kids as guinea pigs?! Maybe Apple could add this as a BTO option, to help parents keep their kids away from their MBPs?!

:cool:

iBorg

Bruno2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
What kind of whine?

OMG, what a device! And the inventor used his kids as guinea pigs?! Maybe Apple could add this as a BTO option, to help parents keep their kids away from their MBPs?!

:cool:

iBorg

Is this an Italian whine, or a French whine?

heavenlyevil

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Waterloo, ON, Canada
I've had my C2D MacBook Pro for a month now and it has recently started making the whining noises. I know I have good hearing and I can always hear the fan and other normal sounds like that coming from the machine, but what it is doing now is definitely not normal. It doesn't do it very often, and I have yet to establish a pattern for when it does make the noise, but it gradually gets louder once it starts to the point where people across the room could here it over the TV.

So far there's been nothing wrong with the machine performance-wise. I had a crappy Dell before that needed hardware replacements of some sort every 2-3 months, so I'm generally pretty good at noticing when something major is failing.

For now, since it's the end of term and I have exams, I am going to monitor the machine and try to see if I can find a cause for the whining/buzzing sound and call Apple after the holiday madness is over.

I'm not posting to complain, but rather so the information is out there that there are still some whine issues with these machines. In my particular case it is quite loud when it does happen and there is no way it can be mistaken for normal operating noises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.