Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I've had my C2D MBP for 8 weeks. In the past I've had slight problems with it, such as 1 or 2 kernel panics randomly and in the past 2 days the system has frozen up 3 times. Yesterday disk utility crashed and wiped my external drive, and today my computer won't even recognize my external mouse and keyboard plugged in by USB (they're plugged to a Hub, which is plugged to the computer).
The keyboard is not recognized at all and the mouse works intermittently. Even the built in keyboard is reacting a little slow.

What's going on? Why does it keep crashing for nothing? It just crashed as I tried to open a movie. I hear macs are rock solid, so if this is happening there must be something wrong, am I right?

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but the system is getting alot hotter than it used to as well. It idles at over 60 degrees celcius now.

I really don't know what to do so please help me out :confused: thx in advance

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
it is:

2.33 C2D
2 gigs ram (from apple)
160gig hard drive
15 inch screen

no upgrades myself

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you made modifications yourself (new RAM, etc), then you may wish to re-seat the RAM / check the connections. (EDIT: Sorry, we posted at the same time; I see you didn't do that). Otherwise, call Apple... Between the RAM, the hard drive, and the logic board, the most likely culprit is bad hardware somewhere. It does happen occasionally.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I have a feeling the stress from a LAN party I recently attended, aka several hours straight of processor intense games, brought out the damaged hardware or whatever.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have a feeling the stress from a LAN party I recently attended, aka several hours straight of processor intense games, brought out the damaged hardware or whatever.

Pish tush... your computer should be able to handle several hours of game playing without breaking. It is not at all normal that Macs break because you play games on them for an extended period of time.

Now if your friends blew too much weed smoke into the inside of the MBP, maybe... :D

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I fully agree with you. I'm just happy I caught this problem now, and I'm considering stressing the repaired computer or whatever replacement they give me just to see if this problem is still there.

The computer is definitely alot hotter than it should be, it used to run very cool now it's like a regular CD MBP, very hot and annoying.

I really don't want a replacement, as my screen is perfect, no dead pixels, and my hard drive is the faster Hitachi one (as opposed to the seagate, which might be more reliable, but I dunno)

right now i'm backing up all my stuff

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Now if your friends blew too much weed smoke into the inside of the MBP, maybe... :D

(snicker) Mental image-Hey baby, you got a nice looking set of keys on ya, and great sleek body, want a hit of the good stuff...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
(snicker) Mental image-Hey baby, you got a nice looking set of keys on ya, and great sleek body, want a hit of the good stuff...

:D

Now according to this thread, there is no appropriate way for a man to compliment a woman (or Macbook) that he doesn't know already without being offensive / stalkerish. I beg to differ.

OP: Please update when you talk to Apple. We'll be glad to continue to help. Their defect rate is generally low, but non-zero. I hope you're able to get this fixed and get back up to speed loving Macs. :)

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I called apple and they made me do the hardware test, nothing turned out to be wrong. They told me maybe its my mouse or keyboard that's causing the crashes, and to try the computer without them for some time. I then asked him how to reset PRAM and SMU, which I will do RIGHT now.

I can definitely tell that the temperature is higher than it used to be. When I did the hardware tests using the cd that came with the computer, the fans turned on and brought down the temperature of the left side speaker area down significantly, to how the computer used to be normally.

So he basically said this:
1. try without the keyboard and mouse
2. if that doesnt work, try archive reinstall
3. if that doesnt work, call back to get repairs

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Ok that's all done, the computer feels slightly cooler already. Again, it might be my imagination though lol. I'm gonna stress this **** out by running a ton of apps to see what happens.

My best guess is the logicboard due to the erratic behavior of the keyboard and mouse when they were plugged in.

edit: nvm temp is the same, but maybe I'm focusing too much on it

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Pish tush... your computer should be able to handle several hours of game playing without breaking. It is not at all normal that Macs break because you play games on them for an extended period of time....

I wouldn't discount it completely....gaming for extended periods of time may not create a problem, but it may bring to light an existing problem. If he had previously not stressed the system greatly, and had a bad processor, GPU or chipset, he may not have noticed a problem...but intensive stuff may stress parts that aren't functioning properly, or even make it worse.

It didn't sound like he was saying gaming was causing the problem....possibly only made an existing problem worse.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hey guys, I just made a rather funny observation

Turning the airport off makes my MBP run ALOT cooler:confused:
what the hell\

However I dont consider my problem fixed yet lol

Have many of you experienced crashes ever?

mahz

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2007
well. i got the same trouble.
mbp c2d 2.33 bought month ago.
freezes accidently with no reasons or when i start and tryin' to play any game e.g. doom3 or even apple chess.
no ideas but ramble to local service centre.
did u find any solutions yet?

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Hey guys, I just made a rather funny observation

what the hell\

However I dont consider my problem fixed yet lol

Have many of you experienced crashes ever?

There are no jets with hot jet engines taking off from your computer? :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I don't think I've heard of other people saying this... but let me ask the obvious? What network applications are you running, and when you turned off AE, did you get connected to the network in another way, or were you running "offline"?

If you were offline, then ... what I'm wondering is, are there intensive activities running on your computer... like do you have a Torrent or Limewire type of service running? Did you cut out people who were downloading from your notebook when you turned the network off?

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I don't think I've heard of other people saying this... but let me ask the obvious? What network applications are you running, and when you turned off AE, did you get connected to the network in another way, or were you running "offline"?

If you were offline, then ... what I'm wondering is, are there intensive activities running on your computer... like do you have a Torrent or Limewire type of service running? Did you cut out people who were downloading from your notebook when you turned the network off?

Ok I was actually on bittorrent (azureus) downloading a few files, and on msn and safari.. then I turned off airport and plugged in my network cable and my computer cooled off significantly. The truth is by cool I don't mean the processor temperature, I mean the temperature of the left side speaker vents.

With airport off, it's warm to the touch
With airport on, it's actually HOT

Can somebody please tell me if they experience a similar temperature distinction with airport on and off?

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Have you downloaded the latest Airport update?
I had an average of one kernel panic every week and a half from the time I bought my C2D MBP 2.16 (week 43) until I reinstalled the OS and installed all of the updates.
Most of my kernal panics seemed Airport related, so I think all is well now.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Have you downloaded the latest Airport update?
I had an average of one kernel panic every week and a half from the time I bought my C2D MBP 2.16 (week 43) until I reinstalled the OS and installed all of the updates.
Most of my kernal panics seemed Airport related, so I think all is well now.

Really eh? That's pretty weird, maybe I should reinstall the OS as well. I'm gonna try to push my system to crash again, if it does I will reinstall the OS then see if it can happen again.

One thing: I thought my MBP just crashed again now. It froze and the mouse would move, but the dock was frozen in it's "magnified" form if you know what I mean, but then a couple of seconds later it unfroze and continued.

That's usually what my crashes consist of: the pc frozen and the mouse responds, but nothing else does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.