Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpope

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Do any reviewers every get NDAed access to new apple products? Does anyone know of an existing review for the new C2D MBP? I've been waiting a long time to buy one and am at a somewhat critical juncture (if I can get one very soon then I might be able to get it without VAT) but I want to know if the new models have addressed any of the important problems of the old ones: heat issues, maybe better battery life (the old one wasn't bad but more is better), etc...

Please reply if you get a new MBP (in the next few days) and have some feedback or if you know of someone who has written a review of them.

thanks

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
They just came out today. No one gets one prior to do a review. You've been waiting for one, and now you can order it, but first you need a review of it? That doesn't make sense. It's the same machine, new chip, better specs. FW800, no new case. Processor performance. Look at the C2D iMac reviews. Order it. It's okay.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I am looking forward to reading some reivews on them. It would be nice to see if the heat issues, whine, etc. are still present or if they are fixed for good.

mini.boss

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
roland.g said:
You've been waiting for one, and now you can order it, but first you need a review of it? That doesn't make sense. It's the same machine, new chip, better specs. FW800, no new case. Processor performance. Look at the C2D iMac reviews. Order it. It's okay.

It being the same machine may be a reason NOT to buy it, but then who knows what theyve done until it gets reviewed.

The original had some major issues that was a result to the internals so its possible that these were addressed and this update does much more than just bump the processor. But its more likely that they didnt fix any issues and if thats the case then a potential C2D buyer may be better off just getting an Apple Refurb MBP for $1000 less and upgrade again in a year when they get the design right.

Waiting for reviews is the right thing to do because nowadays none of these companies (apple included) can be trusted with their hardware.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
mini.boss said:
You dont know its the same machine. The original had some major issues that was a result to the internals so its possible that these were addressed and this update does much more than just bump the processor. But its more likely that they didnt fix any issues and if thats the case then a potential C2D buyer may be better off just getting an Apple Refurb MBP for $1000 less and upgrade again in a year when they get the design right.

Waiting for reviews is a smart thing because nowadays no computer company (apple included) can be trusted with their hardware.
Rev B products have more than just their specs updated - of course revisions were made to address the issues people were having with rev A.. heck, revisions were silently being made even though there was no "official" update.

Where do you get that it's more likely that no issues were fixed at all?? I'd beg to differ - because Rev B models address Rev A problems is the exact reason why so many opt not to buy a new machine right away, and instead hold out for the next "gen."

The MBP has been out since February.. I'm quite sure that most wide-spread issues have been fixed by now.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
vendettabass said:
hopefully CNET should have one by the end of the week!

Why? They never seem to get things right.

I'd be interested to see if battery life is increased, along with somewhat better performance. It would be nice to be further from the wall outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.