C2D MBP Whine ?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Am3822, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Hi people,

I have a C2D MBP 2.33 (15 months old, according to coconutBattery). A few days ago I've started to notice a sort of whining noise coming from the machine. At the time, I didn't give it much thought, and assumed it was a HD-related noise, which I hadn't noticed before (I usually use an external keyboard, so the computer is at some distance from me).

Today, however, I've decided to check whether it's the 'whining' issue which had plagued Rev A MBP's. I've opened the terminal and did 'yes > /dev/null' as recommended at the time and the whining disappeared.

Has someone else encountered similar problems? This is somewhat puzzling and quite annoying.

2. kabunaru Guest

I think it's common with the Intel mobile chips. PowerPC mobile chips were dead silent.:)

3. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Unfortunately, I am not in the US, so AppleCare is not available here. If the problem persists I will give the local representatives a call tomorrow.

@kabunru : well, that's a small comfort to me, I have to say.

I had assumed that the whining had been done away with. Hm. this is not a good time to send this machine to be serviced.