Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I am testing my MBP's wireless for the first time and i'm a little bit disappointed. I know that MBP in general are so-so with wireless, but it's sitting maybe 5 inches away from an airport express and the istat wireless widget reports 60% strength?!!

Is that normal? I mean it seems to me that it should be 100% bearing in mind they are right next to each other. Also there are no wireless networks or anything else that might interfere (microwaves, etc.) in the vicinity.

Thanks for the help.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That doesn't sound right at all, but then it could merely be a calibration issue with the signal strength meter. How is the connection? Are there signs of any slowness or connectivity problems?

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
the connection is ok, but the range is not that great. I have an old ibook g4 and it gets a significantly better signal. Using iStumbler i get 82% strength and 9% interference... But hell i mean they are literally next to each other!

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
the connection is ok, but the range is not that great. I have an old ibook g4 and it gets a significantly better signal. Using iStumbler i get 82% strength and 9% interference... But hell i mean they are literally next to each other!

Move it a bit away, and see if that has any effect. Also, is the MBP by any chance below the airport or on a parallel level? I know typically wi-fi works on a very thin plane, but it really shouldn't be that thin, and I think the airport has a slightly different antenna design. With my MBP about 10 feet away from a router (and through a room) I get all the bars on the airport icon, but I also use ethernet because of games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.