C2D unibody MBP RAM usage ... need advise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mastamarek, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Mastamarek macrumors regular

Mastamarek

So I think this is my 3rd year on my MBP. Always run like a charm, never had any problems with it so I didn't see a point in upgrading. Recently though I' ve bought Lightroom3 with full CS5 suite and ... and ... well. Itsssss slooowwww. I'm more of a windows user so pls don't bash me but I haven't formatted my mac ever since I got it!? could that be it? I know its unix but I'm an artist not an IT person. lol. I only have 4Gb of ram and can not upgrade to 8Gb as this unibody MBP wont take it :( so is it time to upgrade to an i7 MBP with 8Gb of ram??

my activity monitor ram usage is:

VM: 200Gb
    Page Ins: 47Gb
    Page outs: 3.85Gb

thx in advance,
    Marek

2. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

3. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

Mastamarek

Its the first Unibody MBP ... I think ... early 2008?? its the only unibody MBP that will only use 6Gb due to ... something. lol. The next model was able to take full usage of that 8Gb.

Also how would that quad i7 compare to my C2D in terms of CS5, Lightroom, after effects, FCX?

I would love to just upgrade to 8Gb of ram ... or new lappy, I just want to make sure I really need it and a clean install won't help me.

4. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

you can as long as you have at least snow leopard. I have an 2008 unibody with 8gb. Do a search and you will see after a software update all unibody pros can take 8gb.

and you can get ram for less than $50 now. You will feel like you have a new machine.

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

8gb 1333mhz for 34.99

I think what he may have is the Macbook that is the unibody, before they made the 13" into the pro line.

6. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

if thats the case then it may not work.