C2D vs CD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Apr 30, 2006
    Currently I have a 867mhz 768ram powerbook g4. It runs pretty well, but I do see some lag on some of my applications. (I run simultaneously finder, firefox, adium, itunes, word, textedit, calendar, macirssi, and preview) [I want to get into watching tv on my machine too)

    I thought about upgrading to a 15 or 17 inch mbp. There are some *really* good deals on the CD mbp's and I was wondering if this would suit me.

  2. The General macrumors 601

    Jul 7, 2006
    Either will suffice, they are both extremely fast, but C2D is faster...

    Either of them will blow you away compared to that G$. :)
  3. clevin macrumors G3


    Aug 6, 2006
    memory has more influence on multi-tasking. so for u, cpu doesn't sounds a big thing need to consider.
  4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 30, 2006
  5. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Any Intel Mac should suit your needs. If you're interested in saving some money, get the Core Duo. That's what I did.
  6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

    Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Based on what you are running at any given time (especially taking into account Word uses Rosetta for now), I would recommend you get a CD, and use the price savings to buy as much RAM as possible.

    That would give you the smoothest experience.

    Or buy a C2D and max out RAM anyway, if money isn't an option. ;)
  7. mccldwll macrumors 65816

    Jan 26, 2006
    advantages other than speed?

    Assuming speed bump not an issue for intended use, are there other advantages to the c2d mbp which aree important enough to be considered (such as cooler, pre-n)? How much should those weigh in? Who will really benefit from/need faster wireless and how soon?
  8. iRhyknow macrumors member


    Nov 12, 2005
    I had the same options and opted for the CD 15 MBP 1Gig ram 256 VRAM 100 HD refurb on the 18th and used the difference in price to buy a 1Gig ram stick from OWC for $125.

    I cant wait to play WoW on this :D.
  9. brooksfow macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2002
    C2D vs CD

    The only thing I've seen about differences between the two processors is that the CD has 2 mb level 2 cache and the C2D has 4mb level 2 cache, that C2D performance is bumped by @ 20%, that it is also supposedly a little cooler, and potentially uses a little less battery life.

    C-net has some of this info and a simple google search with 'core duo vs. core 2 duo' reveals a lot of places with information and a few test results.

    I agree that maxing out the memory is a must, regardless of processor type. As agreed upon by almost all, it's the best and cheapest way to increase performance.

    I doubt the average non-power user would notice any difference between the two, so personally I'd like to see confirmation of prolonged battery life in the C2D.

    Chime in if anyone has corrections or confirmation of the above aspects.

    Good luck!
  10. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

    Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    To me, not the speed, but the longer battery life, the cooling temps, plus the long-term benefits that go w/ having the latest chip - as it interacts with the latest [and more demanding] s/w - are most important factors in my decision to wait until the C2D iMac and MB were available.
  11. clevin macrumors G3


    Aug 6, 2006
    C2D has some what 64bit advantage, but when look back and check the development of 64 bit software, i don't think that will be important before the time when u plan to buy next computer, i.e. 4~5 years
  12. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2006
    I would obviously go for core 2 duo. Why would you want a CD?? Just buy DVDs or external hard drives :D
  13. potdude macrumors member

    Jan 13, 2007
    If you can't afford or don't want to spend the extra money to get a Core 2 Duo then by all means get one of the Core Duo deals. You can always upgrade again later anyhow.
  14. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Even though Apple have said that Leopard will be fully optimized for 64 bit?
  15. timswim78 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 8, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that 64 bit computing is hype at this point. For home applications, I doubt that you will notice any difference at all. At this point, I'd suggest saving your money and getting the CD.

    If you ever want a pro system, such as a MacPro in the future, you'll have a little extra money saved towards it.
  16. smueboy macrumors 6502a


    Oct 30, 2006
    For the apps you are running i'd say get the CD as that's all you need. Conversely, if you have plenty of money to burn...... :)
  17. Butthead macrumors 6502


    Jan 10, 2006
    Depends on how much money you have to spend, as mentioned. If on a budget, and you can put up with larger size (or want that in the 1st place), go with a new 17in CD MBP, from smalldog

    http://www.smalldog.com/wag17142/atbarefeats, only 1 left $1649...hurry ;)
  18. buffalo macrumors 65816

    Jun 5, 2005
    Colorado Springs / Ohio
    Will a CD MacBook still be able to run Leopard well?
  19. sethypoo macrumors 68000

    Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Just to add my 2 cents, I have to say that I have a 15" MBP with the 1.83Ghz Core Duo processor in it. Upgrading from a revision A 12" PowerBook G4, I saw a HUGE increase in performance.

    In my MBP, I have the maximum 2GB of RAM installed, as well as a upgraded 160GB hard drive. If I were you, I would go for the fastest CD MBP you can find, and simply max out the RAM- you'll save a lot of money than going for the C2D, and you'll still have blazing fast performance. After you get your CD MBP, wait a few years for the next big thing to come out, and upgrade then.

  20. Dreadnought macrumors 68020


    Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    I would say wait for updating untill MS Office has been updated. As you use Word, and this is still being simulated through Rosetta, wait untill you can get the new version.

Share This Page