C2D vs i5 vs Sandy Bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eternlgladiator, Feb 19, 2011.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Can anyone put into laymans terms the differences here. I'm looking to upgrade my current 2.4 C2D 17 inch macbook pro to a 15 inch in either an i5 or Sandy Bridge when those come out. Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you use your machine for. Since you're asking, probably no difference at all.

3. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Thanks for all the detail. I'll be sure to work that into my buying decision.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Likewise!

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Sandy bridge offers better performance per wat. It will offer better battery life than C2D and first generation of intel processors.

6. Jaimi, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Jaimi macrumors regular

According to TomsHardware, the i5 sandy bridge will be about 25% faster than the first gen I5.

It doesn't list the C2D, but it does show the C2Q, which is about 20% slower than the first gen I5. But you can use that as a comparison, because you won't likely get a SB quad either (which the chart shows)

This of course will vary based on what you do, but just look at the second blue bar (the SB I5), and compare it to the bottom blue bar (the C2Q).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-12.html

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

and like the first poster (after the OP) said.. it depends on what youre doing.
    if youre use is for things like internet, youtube, facebook, things like that than a C2D is perfect.. but if you want to get into Photoshop, video editing, heavy things like that then sandy bridge is the way to go.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

There's really no good reason to buy a C2D now, especially since Apple is basically the only company using them (not for long we hope). But as for the standard i5 first gen and SB, the SB is pretty damn good. But if you can get a decent deal on a i5 than it's not a bad move. Of course C2D will do most of the daily needs, but just because it can doesn't mean you shouldn't just wait a little bit to get technology that isn't 3-4 years old when it's going to be at the same price point. At this point in time, I feel i5 or SB should be your only option.

I mean, I'm thinking about TV technology. Say you can get an older generation screen, I dunno DLP or something that can do everything you want (watch HDTV etc) or get a newer tech OLED (haha) or an LED tv that can also do the same thing, but at the same price point, why not get the LED screen over DLP.. even if DLP can do what you want it to. I'm not saying be a first adopter, but there's some good information backing up the SB cpus.

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I had a C2D 2.4Ghz and now have a i5 2.4 MBP. The difference is huge for applications like Photoshop - like 50%. The i5 also seems slightly faster than my C2D 3.06 iMac I sold last year. Of course it depends on what you are doing but for intensive stuff the difference is very real.

Here is a benchmark comparisons of the iX vs the older C2D which show this is real http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/19/new-...the-core-2-duo-13-core-i5i7-15-and-17-models/

As a matter of fact I ran the Geek test on my own 15" MBP, in the slower 32-bit mode, and got even better scores on my MBP that what is reported in that review. I would imagine the 64-bit test - which is not free, would be about 10-15% faster

Attached Files:

10. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll probably wait until the sandy bridge ones come out and see how that effects pricing on the i5 stock that's left. I'd like to upgrade my storage possibly to solid state and also get the style unibody laptop as well.