C2D vs. mobile i5 vs. mobile i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlindGoldfish, Mar 4, 2010.

1. BlindGoldfish macrumors regular

Help this noob understand what the differences will be in terms of pros/cons and overall performance. What about if Apple keeps everything else the same and just upgrades the processors, how would that affect things (hypothetically)?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For approximately 95% of people it won't make any difference. Neither C2D or i5/7 will make your movie-watching, paper-writing, web browsing, music-listening, twitter-following, or instant messenging experience any better or worse.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. BlindGoldfish thread starter macrumors regular

5. BlindGoldfish thread starter macrumors regular

I use FCP7 for movie editing.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're in the 5% !!! ;) Check the other threads. Your question has come up before recently, I just can't remember exactly where.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That does not really warrant the newest CPU, unless you edit with highly advanced footage and lots of effects and need to render every other quarter hour or due lots and lots of encoding.

The current and even the last and the one before is more than sufficient for basic and advanced editing.

8. BlindGoldfish thread starter macrumors regular

You are pretty good at making assumptions. I looked through those threads and instead of reading 206 pages of comments, I was hoping for a quick recap. If anyone else knows, it would still be helpful.

9. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

Do you think Apple would upgrade hardware if only 5% of their customers will take benefit from it?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has a web search brought up anything, like benchmarks or some article that might help you?

We get these kind of question every other day, so don't take it personally that many won't answer you, because there is enough redundancy already.
    Use MRoogle to find those specific threads.

In short, the i-Core CPUs allow four threads instead of two, as present in the Core2Duo series. That means double the capacity to run calculations, but not really double the speed.

11. silenahilena macrumors member

For me, here's the thing...I do all the music, movies, Word processing, and I plan to play Sims 3 on my new laptop. I'm also a web designer and developer -- xHTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery, WordPress, etc., and I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 a lot. Would the C2D be enough for me? (I know you don't need a lot of processing power to do websites, but the Photshop thing is questionable.)

I'm actually heading to the Apple store tomorrow to pick up a Macbook, but I plan to sell the Macbook after the new MBP's come out.

12. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

I'm a web developer as well, photoshop is fine on my 2.8 C2D, and so it is with 2,53, the 4 GB of ram are not as fine…Better with 8GB, but with the current MBP you are good to go.

13. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

In theory, what does the difference in L2 cache provide? Would the 6MB of cache on the higher end 15" current MBP improve performance over the 3 or 4MB that an i5 would have? (I understand what cache does, just curious on how it relates to benefits of 4 threads vs 2).

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

With every hardware revision, there's always been some non-performance enhancement to their line of laptops. Last time it was a better built-in battery. Before that it was the unibody. Before that was the multi-touch trackpad. Before that the LED LCD screens. Before that was FireWire 800.

Again, none of these has to do with the performance of the laptop itself from day to day. But it's the things that'll stick around long after the performance of your computer turns from "extraordinary" to "I'll put up with it for a few more years" that are sometimes worth waiting for.

For example, if Apple were to completely ditch the optical drive and move to dual HDD drives. That would be pretty nice. Stick in a small 80GB SSD and have a 500GB HDD and that would do wonders for the performance of an MB Pro. Plus, the extra space recovered should allow for an even LARGER battery.

Or the LCD panels could go from TN to IPS. Or USB 3.0. Or audio over the miniDP jack. Or video input from the miniDP jack. Etc. etc. There are tons of possibilities.

15. Denzo macrumors member

Denzo

+1 Hahaha well said. Fanboys will honeslty say anything for the **** of it. Its SO FRUSTRATING!!!

"Ill take a kick in the teeth if its from apple!!" (*smiles coy)

16. zipa macrumors 65816

It provides a marginally better cache hit ratio, but no, it will not make a huge difference.

17. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yes....I do.

18. apw100 macrumors regular

Yes, of course they would, as long as people would continue to buy it! Most people don't need the latest hardware, but they want it anyway. Apple is more than willing to satisfy that desire.
    That being said, the jump from C2D to the "i" series is a pretty significant upgrade. While most people won't need the extra power now, they might need to use it in three years when they get their 1080p 3D camcorder! lol

19. strang macrumors member

Audio over miniDP is the reason why I'm waiting for the Arrandale refresh :)

USB 3.0 is likely late, Apple might not even adopt it. 2-way miniDP would be awesome but I learned to expect very little and be surprised rather than expect a lot and be disappointed.

IPS screen is probably going to be too expensive to achieve economies of scale for a 15 or 17" panel.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

People already snicker at Apple for lagging behind in the hardware. Especially when it comes to graphic cards. Why companies like Dell or whatever don't point this out in commercials is beyond me.