C2D White iMac HD upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lightsout, Jun 23, 2008.

1. lightsout macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my HD in my C2D iMac. I've seen the disassembly pictures online, and I thought they look a bit scary! Specifically the bit where you have to peel back the shielding!

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know how much Apple will charge to do this? If so, can I just bring a HD to them and get them to fit?

2. Has anyone done this? Is it really that hard? I've built plenty of PCs before, but they are a lot more serviceable than an iMac if I break anything (not that I have!).

Thanks!

2. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

I did this a couple of weeks ago after my hard drive died.

It is pretty tricky, but if you just take your time then it is totally doable.

I followed this guide - http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA53A0-F23D-4541-9015-481FD3B6532E/iMac_Disassembly.html

It is quite scary, and you cant really test it without putting it all back together first. Luckily it worked first time for me.

The only bit i had trouble with was taking the front off, but as i said, just take your time and you'll have no trouble.

EDIT: Mine is an early Core Duo, i'm sure i read somewhere that the later white iMacs were easier to take apart. Im not sure.

3. lightsout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Any SATA drive should be fine right? As long as the connectors are aligned the same as the existing HD?

What HD did you put in? I was thinking of a 750GB Samsung or WD...

4. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

I just went for a direct replacement 250gig drive, i chose a drive that wes the same make, and similar model number, although i guess i didnt have to.

I dont need a lot of internal storage as i store most of my stuff on NAS.

Pretty much any SATA drive will do.

Take a look here - http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Im not sure how definitive that list is, but it may be some help.