Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ad noctum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
SoCal
I bought my Macbook a couple of weeks ago and am very satisfied with it (my first mac). When I view "About this Mac" it states that the computer is Core Duo, while I paid for a Core 2 Duo. It's a 2 ghz, has a 80 gig hd, 1 gig or RAM- all the other specs are in line with what I paid for, I'm just missing the 2 between the Core and the Duo. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Nick

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
if u paid for a c2d, and u still have the receipt exchange it for the proper specs. that would be apples loss.

Ad noctum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
SoCal
What do the specs on the box say?

How about System Profiler?

Box doesn't say anything about that. SP:

Machine Name: MacBook
Machine Model: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.4f12

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Box doesn't say anything about that. SP:

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB

Every MacBook should have the specs on the box next to the UPC and serial numbers but that doesn't matter because System Profiler confirms you have a Rev A Core Duo MacBook.

I'd go down to the Apple Store ASAP.

Ad noctum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
SoCal
Every MacBook should have the specs on the box next to the UPC and serial numbers but that doesn't matter because System Profiler confirms you have a Rev A Core Duo MacBook.

I'd go down to the Apple Store ASAP.

Damn, not good news.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
The C2D MacBooks were already out a couple weeks ago. When you first buy it, you should read the specs are listed outside the box. I read the specs immediately to make sure it's C2D after I bought mines, 3 days after the launch date. You could argue with them if your receipt had MacBook C2D written on it (unlikely since they scan the barcode from the box when purchasing). Therefore, now that you've opened the box, you might have to the 10% restocking fee since there is no defect I assume and that it is (kinda) the customer's responsibility to see that s/he has right product. You may not be able to return at all since a couple weeks is the deadline for Mac returns.

Ad noctum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
SoCal
The C2D MacBooks were already out a couple weeks ago. When you first buy it, you should read the specs are listed outside the box. I read the specs immediately to make sure it's C2D after I bought mines, 3 days after the launch date. You could argue with them if your receipt had MacBook C2D written on it (unlikely since they scan the barcode from the box when purchasing). Therefore, now that you've opened the box, you might have to the 10% restocking fee since there is no defect I assume and that it is (kinda) the customer's responsibility to see that s/he has right product. You may not be able to return at all since a couple weeks is the deadline for Mac returns.

I am outside of the two weeks, but I asked the clerks repeatedly if this computer was C2D and was assured that it was... I've just been too busy with this damn degree to think too much about it since.

I thought that since it was the correct clock speed, the right hd, and the right ram (I thought that the cache was L2 X2 thus L4). This sucks.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Is that what yours says?

yes that is what mine says.
this is under Profiler:

Machine Name: Mac
Machine Model: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B00
SMC Version: 1.13f3

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Go to the store and talk to the manager and try to get it replaced with the model you paid for or ask for the difference in money since the older ones are selling for less now. Your only other option is to deal with it (not trying to be rude, but thats all you can do).

Also, the fact that it has a gig of ram is puzzling, none of the CD models came with 1gig default, only the MBPs did. I think you could easily argue something is up.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
I think that they should give you an exchange without a restocking fee considering that you asked the clerks repeatedly. You thought you were getting the latest and greatest, but you got a slightly outdated machine for the latest and greates price. You should get your money or computer exchanged with no problem, but i wouldn't put it past them to screw you, especially some of the mac geniuses, some of them are very arrogant, well at least at my local apple store.

Ad noctum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
SoCal
I think that they should give you an exchange without a restocking fee considering that you asked the clerks repeatedly. You thought you were getting the latest and greatest, but you got a slightly outdated machine for the latest and greates price. You should get your money or computer exchanged with no problem, but i wouldn't put it past them to screw you, especially some of the mac geniuses, some of them are very arrogant, well at least at my local apple store.

I got this the day that the C2D came out, and it seemed a little fast that they would have the product in stock. They also did not have the C2D on the floor at the time but claimed that the ones they were selling were C2D.

Ad noctum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
SoCal
Go to the store and talk to the manager and try to get it replaced with the model you paid for or ask for the difference in money since the older ones are selling for less now. Your only other option is to deal with it (not trying to be rude, but thats all you can do).

Also, the fact that it has a gig of ram is puzzling, none of the CD models came with 1gig default, only the MBPs did. I think you could easily argue something is up.

yeah that's what threw me, then I forgot about it since I had some much going on with school. AND I waited for 3 months for the C2D!!! GRRRRRRR

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
If you asked the clerks then you have a strong case. If you asked the clerks and had a witness present (friend, etc) you have an even stronger case. Anyway, you have a receipt and you have this mac... you want it replaced! You could just be an average joe, your first mac, how were you to know how to check the specs?

Dynatos

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
yes that is what mine says.
this is under Profiler:

Machine Name: Mac
Machine Model: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B00
SMC Version: 1.13f3

That's completely different from what Ad Noctum posted. Ad Noctum posted the following, and I'll do a step-by-step for you.

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo Note the lack of '2' between Core and Duo
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB Note the 2MB cache instead of the C2D 4MB cache
Memory: 1 GB Note the amount of RAM. C2D MPB ships with minimum of 2GB

Elisha, yours is a C2D - Ad Noctum's is a CD.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
That's completely different from what Ad Noctum posted. Ad Noctum posted the following, and I'll do a step-by-step for you.

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo Note the lack of '2' between Core and Duo
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB Note the 2MB cache instead of the C2D 4MB cache
Memory: 1 GB Note the amount of RAM. C2D MPB ships with minimum of 2GB

Elisha, yours is a C2D - Ad Noctum's is a CD.

They are talking about the C2D MB, not the C2D MBP;), and anyway, doesn't the MBP ship with 1GB RAM standard, not 512?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.