C300 externally or internally for MP 2009?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HHarm, Aug 28, 2010.

1. HHarm macrumors regular

I have a Mac Pro early 2009. I'm thinking of getting a Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB for as a Windows 7 boot drive. From what I understood, with the OS's TRIP function it should it's a good choice.

I'm also getting an external 4TB HD enclosure. I'm going to be running that with a NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 Controller Card. After that I have an unused eSata port. Will I get a performance benefit from the 6 Gb/s controller if I use the C300 SSD in an external enclosure? (and from what I understood, Win7 is bootable with the eSata card)

Of course if there's a better SSD choice for my need I'm interested! The SSD should be >100Gb and at the same price range.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's noticeable faster with SATA 6Gb/s link

You can install Windows 7 to eSATA drive too.

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

The question is if it is bootable with a mac :p

If it doesn't work it's not the end of the world if it's connected to the internal ports, 300Mb/sec read max but when are you ever sequentially reading as a boot drive!? :p

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I think this will only work with the LSD-Addon in Windows 7.

But back to topic, if you don't use SATA-III, the C300 doesn't make sense, as SATA-II cuts of at ~270MB/s, and there are SSDs like the OWC ones, which are slower in read (but still faster than SATA-II) but much faster in write operations.

So unless you don't get the SATA-III controller, get another SSD.

And there is no difference between eSATA and SATA, they only use different connectors and cable specifications, but the signal is the same. Windows 7 can't tell whether it's SATA or eSATA.
    [​IMG]