c64 emulator help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nathan sz, Nov 9, 2007.

1. nathan sz macrumors newbie

anyone have any wisdom for me regarding getting a c64 emulator going on my ppc?

i've never been able to get vice to work properly. (i'll be the first to admit i'm not very proficient with x11. ie: i'm totally lost.)

i've read good things about frodo but whenever i try to load a rom into it it just "loads" it forever but nothing happens.

i used to use power64 on my old t-book but on the machine i have now it won't let me set up my gamepad (like the set usb option is "grayed out")

also, everything i can find on the web about these emulators seems extremely outdated.

any help, hints, tips, etc. would be very appreciated.

i just want to play some fort apocalypse and last ninja and defender of the crown and stuff.

thanks in advance folks.

2. nathan sz thread starter macrumors newbie

just remembered to add in case it matters:
    i'm using a sawtooth w/ 1g of ram and os 10.4.9

3. Slimbob macrumors newbie

Me too

Another newbie chiming in.

I would also LOVE to be running the Vice emulator to get in some Impossible Mission (because I need to waste more time.)

I've been successful on a PC, but can't seem to get things going on my Mac. (MacBook, 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.4.11.)

I've downloaded and mounted both the gtk and x11 versions, double-clicked the VICE app, and it tries but with no luck.

Do I need to "compile?" How do I go about doing so?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

4. Slimbob macrumors newbie

Some success - almost there.

Well, got Frodo to run and load the game.
    Used Frodo PC with the "Full 1541 Emulation" disabled.

Now it's just down to controls. I can navigate, I just need to figure out how to flip. I'll also likely have to figure out the additional controls.

5. Paulky45 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Just spend the last hour trying to get a game to run in Frodo on my MacBook. Turns out all I had to do was type 'Run' once it loaded. :)

Anywho, just wondering if there are any keyboard controls for this emulator? The arrow keys seem to work for for things like menus but just starting the bloody game seems impossible. And I don't have a gamepad or joystick.
    Any ideas?