Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
It's good to see that even if gMail does actually launch, that at least the public will be aware of the terms of service, as so many people just click through this important information without actually reading it.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
Why block GMail if it uses a well-publicized method of giving pertinent advertising? It's not like Google's hiding anything! In fact, by giving relevant advertising, it may help users find products they want.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
KC9AIC said:
Why block GMail if it uses a well-publicized method of giving pertinent advertising? It's not like Google's hiding anything! In fact, by giving relevant advertising, it may help users find products they want.

Yeah but it "helps" them by reading their email. So not only are those adds popping up in your messages, eating your bandwidth, are only from companies who paid to advertise in this method, but they completely invade personal privacy. And it might not just be the users of Gmail, what if you sent an email to somebody with a Gmail address and they quoted you in their reply. Is their email reading software going to stop at the new text, or does it read what was quoted as well?

I personaly don't need those ad's to tell me that there is some product out there that I emailed a friend about... If I really need to look up a store I'll search for it myself. And would appreciate them keeping their "helpfull" ads and spyware to themselves.
:mad:

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I think it would be funny to use gmail and encrypt everything with GPG first. That's stickin' it to "The Man"! :p

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Raid said:
Yeah but it "helps" them by reading their email. So not only are those adds popping up in your messages, eating your bandwidth, are only from companies who paid to advertise in this method, but they completely invade personal privacy. And it might not just be the users of Gmail, what if you sent an email to somebody with a Gmail address and they quoted you in their reply. Is their email reading software going to stop at the new text, or does it read what was quoted as well?

I personaly don't need those ad's to tell me that there is some product out there that I emailed a friend about... If I really need to look up a store I'll search for it myself. And would appreciate them keeping their "helpfull" ads and spyware to themselves.
:mad:

Ah okay, you think there's some software out there that acts like Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched-- Nosy, interested in other people's lives, gossipy. Last time I checked, software didn't give a rats' ass what it was doing... Placing ads by keywords is a pretty simple concept, What exactly do you think it's going to do?? Submit a report to Google every week, saying "John Doe is really stressed out about his wife, and his daughter just got a pierced navel-- But don't tell her mother that, she doesn't know yet". Why on earth would Google pay people to invade your privacy?

This is most CERTAINLY not spyware, if you think it is, you're badly confused about that term. But, if ad-supported sites aren't your bag, go find a subscription service that costs $10 a month. Me, i'll go with a free service that happens to list electronic resellers next to an email where I talk about getting a new TV, etc. That's the bottom line-- They made ads smaller and less invasive by making them more targeted, and more valuable. If your paranoia gets in the way of such a simple concept, you deserve to lose out on what appears to be a fantastic email service.

paul

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Here's a novel idea... let the consumer decide! Isn't that how supply and demand works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.