Cable 3 inserting problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tim Burton, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Tim Burton macrumors newbie

I just repaired my LCD screen. The screen works fine, but I am having no sound and the proximity indicator isn't working. Now, I know that this indicates that the Cable 3 ribbon isn't in.

I put it Cable 3 in, but there is about 1/16 of an inch still between the connector and the white line. Does this mean it is still out too far?

I have the connector switch flipped up when I insert it, but I just can't get it in the last 1/16 of an inch. I haven't found any photos of the correct inserting distance.

If it isn't in all the way, is it damaged the electronics or just not working till I get it in? I'd definitely not like to replace the part.

If it is just a matter of getting it in all the way, can someone give me a suggestion in how to get it all the way into the connector? I'm just dying trying to get it in. I've worked on getting cable 3 in for the last hour and 40 minutes. It's in far enough that the clip grabs it, but it still doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want this fixed ASAP.

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Cable 3 doesn't go in all the way so you are ok. Maybe the prox and headphone electronics are damaged - you can change them out for 5-10 pounds - loads on ebay. I have fixed a few phones and that proximity detector can be difficult to fix sometimes.

3. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I think that's the problem too.

Do you have a link to instructions on how to change it? Do I just need the sensor or should I also get a earpiece speaker?

4. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

The earpiece is separate and attached to the frame under the proximity assembly. You can take off the metal clip from around the proximity assembly by unclipping the 3 clips (very easy just unclip the bottom one and the top two will pop right off)

Not sure where to get a guide for this but if you want I can take pics of one of the ones I have in bits at the moment.

You might have snapped the connector on the proximity sensor so your best bet is to pickup a cheap replacement off eBay.

5. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love pictures if possible.

I don't think I snapped it. I've been very gentle with it and it seems solid. Is there anyway to find out if I snapped it. If so, I'm totally screwed. I don't know how to solder worth poopies...

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

You wont be able to solder anything anyway, we're talking about a ribbon cable. These are thin wires enclosed inside plastic. If you bend it or push it too hard you will break the wires inside.

Once I get home I'll take some high quality pictures to show you how far it's supposed to go in and what to look for. To be honest they are so cheap on eBay (or from other sources) you would be best off buying a new one.

7. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I've ordered the ribbon cable. Hopefully it'll be here by Friday.

Thanks for doing this for me. I appreciate the help. I'll make sure to PIF.

8. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the new one just arrived. Any chance you'll have time for photos showing how to replace the cable?

Thanks.

9. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I replaced the cable, but now when I boot the screen goes to the Apple logo with the circle and doesn't change or fully boot.

Can you recommend what I should do?

Edit: I plugged the phone into the computer and the computer recognizes it. I can directory dive and even see the photos from the phone.

I just can't get it to boot all the way, no matter the resets I do..

Second Edit: I noticed that after the Apple logo and circle goes for a while, it becomes just the Apple logo and the computer thinks it's unplugged.

Would a reformat solve the problem?

10. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried reformatting, that didn't solve it. iTunes sees it, but I can't get the home screen, just the boot screen.

11. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Have you tried DFU mode and then restoring it?
    Sounds odd that this would happen after just replacing the proximity sensor assembly.

If that doesn't work try it on another PC. Might just be an intermittent problem. I often have restore issues and DFU mode generally works fine.

12. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did that an it's white screened now. :confused:

Edit: Disassembled the entire thing are put it all back. Back to the old problem of the Apple logo and circle...

13. Tim Burton thread starter macrumors newbie

14. momof2girlies macrumors newbie

did you ever fix your iphone?

I just replaced my screen as well and also have no sound from the earpiece. I understand that it's likely cable 3 that's either broken or not installed correctly (it sure was a pain to connect!). did you end up buying a new #3 cable or something else? just wondering if you ever got it fixed. thanks!