Cable box remote operates ATV3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AIH, May 22, 2013.

1. AIH macrumors newbie

I've been billed twice for movies I didn't purchase via my ATV, and I've also noticed the ATV seems to end up in random places in the various selection trees after several days of non-use. The mystery of the self-operating ATV has now been solved: the remote for my Cable box operates both the cable box and the ATV!
    The fix I've settled on is to use the ATV's remote to block the front of the ATV.

I should have realized that the ATV's "awake" light was coming on when I was using the Cable box's remote.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Have you tried pairing the Apple remote to the Apple TV. That should prevent the Apple TV from recognizing any other remote.

3. AIH thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know the ATV remote would work if it wasn't paired. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check my setup.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

This should help.

5. AIH thread starter macrumors newbie

6. CHI3F117 macrumors newbie

Wow that is absolutely hilarious! What a horrible situation. I hope you weren't charged too much though. You could try to get money back from iTunes support because it was a honest mistake. Also, what people said about pairing your remote should fix the issue.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

In the post right before yours that the OP made 6 days prior the OP said that pairing the remote worked.

8. CHI3F117 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I thought it was a funny situation and wanted to chime in?

9. CTay macrumors member

Obviously the guy didn't realize what had been said. Did it really require you to chime in? Come on, man!