Cable box remote operates ATV3

AIH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
I've been billed twice for movies I didn't purchase via my ATV, and I've also noticed the ATV seems to end up in random places in the various selection trees after several days of non-use. The mystery of the self-operating ATV has now been solved: the remote for my Cable box operates both the cable box and the ATV!
The fix I've settled on is to use the ATV's remote to block the front of the ATV.

I should have realized that the ATV's "awake" light was coming on when I was using the Cable box's remote.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I've been billed twice for movies I didn't purchase via my ATV, and I've also noticed the ATV seems to end up in random places in the various selection trees after several days of non-use. The mystery of the self-operating ATV has now been solved: the remote for my Cable box operates both the cable box and the ATV!
The fix I've settled on is to use the ATV's remote to block the front of the ATV.

I should have realized that the ATV's "awake" light was coming on when I was using the Cable box's remote.
Have you tried pairing the Apple remote to the Apple TV. That should prevent the Apple TV from recognizing any other remote.

AIH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Have you tried pairing the Apple remote to the Apple TV. That should prevent the Apple TV from recognizing any other remote.
I didn't know the ATV remote would work if it wasn't paired. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check my setup.

CHI3F117

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012

Wow that is absolutely hilarious! What a horrible situation. I hope you weren't charged too much though. You could try to get money back from iTunes support because it was a honest mistake. Also, what people said about pairing your remote should fix the issue.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Wow that is absolutely hilarious! What a horrible situation. I hope you weren't charged too much though. You could try to get money back from iTunes support because it was a honest mistake. Also, what people said about pairing your remote should fix the issue.
That worked! Thanks!
In the post right before yours that the OP made 6 days prior the OP said that pairing the remote worked.

CTay

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2013
In the post right before yours that the OP made 6 days prior the OP said that pairing the remote worked.
Obviously the guy didn't realize what had been said. Did it really require you to chime in? Come on, man!