Cable/Convertor questions, speaker/other

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ZiggyPastorius, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

[​IMG]
    I have a few questions. Now that I'm getting very close to paying off my macbook, I can start focusing on the other things I need (speakers, Duet, et cetera) My first question is, searching for the lowest cost possible, can anyone help me find a convertor for the types of plugs shown above (I think they're called banana plugs or something. Whatever the "standard" (I think?) for speakers and subwoofers like that is) to a basic line in? Or, any other recommendations in terms of speakers for the best sound quality I can get in terms of equalisation, reality (As in, if I make a song on these speakers, it isn't going to sound like a completely different song in some other speakers/headphones) I know that one is hard to guarentee fully, but the best I can do. My budget for these speakers is around $150 (Possibly a bit more if absolutely necessary).

As for the convertor I mentioned, I don't know a lot about the connections..They're like open wires when removed, and the text above each port says...AM/MW Loop antenna, R & L Aux in, and + and - speaker left and right (6 ohms) and Subwoofer (4 ohms). I'm basically looking to take all these plug ins, and just put them in my macbook, for when I'm working. (Probably not possible, which is why I ask for the speaker recommendations above)

Thanks everybody, and I hope that isn't too confusing :)

Attached Files:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Those speaker connections require an amp to use, hence why they are connected to your stereo. A better idea is to use the AUX input on the Stereo (if you have one), or use a Tape Adapter to use those speakers.

TEG

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Can you give me a link, or an example or something? I honestly have absolutely no clue about anything technically sound-related..

Thanks for the quick reply :)

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

On the back of your Stereo are two RCA Jacks (in the picture next to the speaker wires). Simply goto Radio Shack (or anyplace that sells a decient number of cables) and get a stereo headphone (1/8") to RCA adapter, depending on where your computer is in relation to the stereo, you will need to decide on the length yourself. Just plug in the cable, set the stereo to AUX or Line-In and Violia, you are using the speakers, and have the bonus of being able to record the audio onto tape if you so desire.

TEG