Cable Cutting - NHL Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpeedRacerx89, Nov 4, 2014.

1. SpeedRacerx89 macrumors newbie

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I'd like some new ideas/perspective. We have been without cable for about 5 months now. Everything was going good until NHL started again. Now I'm feeling the itch and I'm trying to find the best way, if any, to watch live sports. We have an HD antenna, but with NHL, most games are on the local cable sports channel. Do I have any options for LIVE NHL games? Or do I have to give NHL Gamecenter a go, which is rather expensive IMO, especially when I only tend to watch MY team...

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Gamecenter won't work if you're in-market, as far as I'm aware. I've heard very good things about Hockey Streams, which you have pay for and which still isn't exactly legit, but I've heard it works and provides very good streams.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I have been using NHL gamecenter since it was introduced.
    Unfortunately home teams aren't covered.
    Over the years the app has gotten better and better.
    From the pc 4 games fit nicely on the 55" plasma.
    Games look great on the iPad and 6plus.
    The box score feature is pretty good too.
    Since last year they offer star following and different angles.
    You also won't get games that are carried on the NhL network or NBC but the NBCsports extra app is very good.

4. SpeedRacerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it doesn't sound like there's a really good option... :\ Maybe I will have to give Gamecenter a try. We have an Xbox 360, Xbox One, iPads, a Roku, and have been contemplating adding an Apple TV.. I think Gamecenter is on all of these...

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'm all about borderline illegal operations, so here you go:

ifeed2all.eu
    firstrowsports.eu
    And then simply just searching the Twitterverse for links

I personally use ifeed2all.eu for all of my NHL, NFL, NCAA Football, and NCAA Basketball needs. Pretty much any game will have multiple streams, either local, away, or legitimately European (ESPN America is a funny thing from the US).

NOTE: You're going to need an ad blocker installed and pop up blocker on. Even then, you're going to get ads that temporarily block most streams. You'll need to look for the X or "Close" and click on that to get the picture to show up - or sometimes they have a timer (~25 secs) and go away after that.

A word of advice - skip Link 1 about 98% of the time. You'll usually hear sound, but only a bogus "You need to install xyz codec to view" is in place of where the image should be.

I've never had any issues from a tech standpoint, quality is quite good, and I can always find the game I want. The only sport it's bad for is like regular season MLB. A random weekday day game isn't going to be on there most likely. Everything else is.

If that's not your style, I believe you can scam Game Center Live like Netflix and have multiple people using it. Perhaps find a buddy or two to split the cost if you want to 'stay legit.' Edit: except GCL blacks out local market games, if I remember correctly, so you're pretty much never going to be able to watch Wings games on it if you live in Michigan. Any of their FS-D and national games will be blacked out. So you'll have to find a way to lie about your address.

6. NukeIT macrumors regular

I use Gamecenter with Unblock us to get around the national and local blackouts. Works great

7. SpeedRacerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I will give some of these options a go.