Cable for SSD+HDD in 2011 21.5'' iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flipz, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Flipz macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum but I have ready through many of the SSD+HDD for 2011 21.5'' iMac threads and I still can't completely figure out the issue with the custom SATA power cable for the install.

I googled it and from what I see OWC and iFixit offer DIY sets to make the installation of the SDD in addition to the HDD and keeping the DVD drive but they see a bit expensive for what I already have for the most part - tools and SATA data cable.

My question is - is there a way to get the sata power cable needed for the installation without these kits. I read on some thread about sata power splitters but couldn't quite understand whether they just covered the fan issues by disabling them or they are a valid solution.

I am looking at a cable like that - http://www.cooldrives.com/sapoyca15sap.html.

In case there is no separate sata power cable available other that these kits, is there a possibility to get power split from the power going to the super drive by this splitters and thus have no temperature issues?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am looking to adding 128GB Samsung 830 in addition to my 500GB WD HDD in the iMac to put OS and apps on the SSD and keep files in the HDD.

Thanks.

2. theohitman macrumors newbie

Hello my friend,

Did you find a solution to your problem?
    I am interested on the exact same thing.

Thank you.

3. Flipz thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed the SSD without any problems but I had to purchase the original Apple power cable to make the install. The SATA cable is standard, but the power is unfortunately only sold by Apple.

It is not an easy install, definitely need 2 set of hands to do it but it is worth the upgrade 100%. The iMac runs incredibly fast and after I maxed out the RAM to 16G it will surely last me 2-3 years.