Cable internet cost more in another town?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cantthinkofone, Oct 2, 2009.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I was doing some digging on my town's good old cable company and found this to be very interesting...

I live in rolla. Salem is 26 miles south of me on highway 72. Sullivan is about 35 miles away from me on I-44.

I have 5meg coming next wednesday. I already felt like i was being bent over, but after seeing this i really feel like bending over.

Attached Files:

2. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Wow, you guys are getting seriously ripped off. Gotta love those government sponsored monopolies for cable. The local Comcast here offers 12/2 service for $42.95 (It's $15/month extra if you don't have TV service through them.)

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ugh, Fidelity. I hated them when I lived in Rolla. Overpriced and unreliable service. Is Embarq DSL not an option?

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Crap dude! Almost 80 bucks for 5mbps, that is insane. We pay 45.00 for 12 mb download and 5 mb upload speeds. But we have our phone service with them too so it's a little bit cheaper, but still.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That's for your phone though isn't it? ;)

7. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

That sucks.

Just wondering, what is the cost of DSL in your area?

8. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I don't want to sign a contract. And the ping times are higher with DSL. Where i'm living right now is at the end of the cable line and DSL line so its a toss up either way i think. I'm going to call them monday and see what they think about the price difference.

Attached Files:

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Are you sure about that. I am on DSL right now my ping times off of Google are working out to be less than 70ms. Most of the time they are under 50 ms.
    It seems to be about the same as when I had cable internet in another city.

I will say at 6Mbs I have discovered is all I really need. For almost everything any of us do on the net that out runs what we need it for. Heavy downloading streaming video and so on.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope. Wired to my Mac.

11. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

DSL is slower here in my experience. 85-75ms, where as cable is about 65-63. My roommate and i plan on playing on xbox live so we were looking for the fastest connection.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You must be lucky, because when I had Fidelity, I sometimes had ping times that were measured in seconds :rolleyes:

13. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'll let you know wednesday. Takes them forever to get people hooked up. Just need a modem and for them to turn me on at their end. The house had cable before.

I figured we would get cable, see how it is, and if it sucks bad enough we'll switch to DSL. Like i said, i don't want to get into a contract.

**EDIT**

Just got off the phone with them. The snot nose b*tch who i talked too said they don't plan on upgrading the speeds or prices in Rolla any time soon. They just upgraded the speeds in those other towns last week.

Which is BS because there is a fiber trunk line that runs along I-44. Place i work at has a line that comes off it. Salem is in the middle of BFE, and sullivan is along I-44.

Almost makes me want to start my own ISP. 10/2 for $50 a month. No install fees. 2 day install time from the day you order.

14. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Went to pay my bill today, and was told i now have 15 meg :) They bumped everybody up here finally. I now have 15/1 for $75 a month. Which i think is fair.