Cable Lock for MacBook Pro 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildcatz15, Jul 30, 2011.

1. wildcatz15 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased my first Mac, a MBP 2011, for college. As I'll be living in a dorm setting, it seems that it's really important to purchase a cable lock. I've been looking into the Kingston MicroSaver DS Keyed Ultra-Thin Notebook Lock. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. MKang25 macrumors regular

In my experience I don't think you are ever going to be using the cable lock. When I first got to college I had the same notion as you someone was going to steal my laptop so I bought a lock. Used it for a week and then never used it again. ITs annoying to lock and unlock given the amount of times you are going to be moving around. I stopped leaving it locked and left it on my desk when i went to class and such with my door unlocked and never had a problem. You will most likely get to know most of the of the people on your floor and the more you do the less paranoid you will be of someone stealing your stuff. Everyone else on the floor probably won't have a lock either.

3. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I learned the hard way and bottom line just keep the mac with you or put it away when not in use. Or use a buddy system when in open area's.

I bought a nice lock like you are seeking and someone tried to steal it 2 times first time person could not break free. So what happen was the screen ended up cracked from the person trying to yank it off the table. Second time whoever tried stealing it broke the lock they had some cable cutters and just cut it in a few seconds. I went to buy a soda came back 1 minute laptop was gone. If someone wants your mac they will get it.