Cable Lock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGotMac, Apr 26, 2008.

1. iGotMac macrumors member

Hi!

After doing some research, it seems that the Kensington cable locks are not recommended as they tend to scratch the MBP.

Are there any other brands, models of cable locks recommended for a MBP?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know where you read that Kensington locks scratch the computer. I guess if you are not careful all locks will scratch the computer. As with regard to another brand, it's all the same concept since Kensington designed and patented the whole idea.

3. iGotMac thread starter macrumors member

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Don't get the Kensington model. Get the Targus model. I have a combo lock and it doesnt scratch the case.

The flaw in design with the Kensington is the two prongs that brace against the case when locked. If you move the lock up and down the metal prongs will dig into the casing and even worse, dent it.

The targus does not have these prongs and have discs that you put in between the lock face and the case to decrease movement. It does not scratch/dent it.

Targus:
    http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/e8/f3/95af_1.JPG

5. sdsviet macrumors regular

i use my kensington and have no problems. i guess if there's a lot of twisting and pulling then maybe but i never had problems. the pins goes into my mbp slot and the slot itself has a rubber piece around it so i dont see it scratching the edges anyways either.

6. iGotMac thread starter macrumors member

e12a,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done some research on the Targus models (Amazon reviews), and people complain about the lock changing the combination on its own. :eek: The Targus reviews are actually worse than the Kensington models.

sdsviet,

What Kensington model do you have?

Thanks!!

:cool:

7. TubbyCow macrumors member

I have used the kensingtion model with no problems whatsoever on a mbp. It doesn't seem like there is anything that can scratch the notebook if you use it right

8. sdsviet macrumors regular

the very basic one. looks like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-No...UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1209328610&sr=8-33

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

hmm I've just read those reviews too. I've personally never had a problem with it changing, i've had a problem almost forgetting the combination though. :)

I also unlocked/locked it everyday because I take it to class from my dorm. Right now I'm using it to tether down my 22" LCD in my apt.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have 5 Kensington MicroSaver DS locks all of which I use to secure different computers including my MBP. I have had no issues with any of them scratching anything. They have rubber rings around the lock piece as already said.