Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakeLiebenTH

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Hey everyone,

I have a pretty horrible situation in my bedroom at the moment. It's gotten to the point where I have far too many cables strewn out across the floor, simply because I have no place to put them. Of course, this makes my room look not only untidy, but also disorganised.

So, I was wondering what the people of the forums use to keep their cables organised and tucked away.

Ideally, I would like something like the CableBox:

CB_001.jpg

But I just can't justify spending $30 (which will be more like $50 with postage) on what is essentially a plastic box.

Any ideas? Pics would be nice, too :)

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I have a white CableBox in the bedroom behind the tv. I also use velcro tape and/or flux tube to keep wires together.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Tell us more about your situation in detail and some pics might help as well. Are we talking about computer and peripheral cables or are we talking about electronics (TV's, stereo, etc.)? What is your set up (desk, entertainment center, etc.) I use zip ties, velcro ties, I bought a specific mounted multi-plug power strip for under desk mounting, and there are other things as well.

Sorry, it's hard to know what specific advice to offer without knowing more about your set up and goals.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Do you have a Container Store near you? They sell something similar (or it might even be the same thing) at the one near me, so you'd be able to save on shipping if there's a location near you.

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
What's your opinion of it? Is it worth the 50 odd dollars I'd be paying for it?

It's a little expensive for what it is, but it works. Got it for $38 off Amazon. I think I've seen a similar product at Ikea, but it doesn't look as nice.

grapejoos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
I have two Cableboxes. They're $25 on Amazon right now, which isn't so bad (especially if you have free shipping via Amazon Prime, or get super saver shipping). It's definitely a high price for what it is, but the end result is nice.

I have an iMac and a hanging desk, so the only thing you see below the desk are the two Cableboxes with the iMac power cord and surge protector cord going in, and a white plastic cable tube going up to the desk for all of the external drives, hubs, etc. It looks good and makes vacuuming under the desk far, far easier with no rats nest of cables.

Would post a pic, but not at home right now - will try to remember to add one later.

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
$25 is an even better price. Just ordered two more white Cableboxes. Thanks for the alert.

BlakeLiebenTH

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for all of your responses, I think I'll go have a look on Amazon. $25 sounds good to me, especially if the shipping is cheaper.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
Looks like the problem's been solved at this point, but maybe I just can't get an idea of scale from those pictures - does this solve the problem of cables being too long, and you just wad them up inside the box? Or is the extra cable still hanging out somewhere?

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Have you ever thought about a conduit? You can mount it on the wall (edge to the floor, and around your doors) and put all the cables in. For shure it will be more expensive (if your condo is big enough) but it also is the cleanest way to get rid of all the cables on the floor. its sturdy and extendable as well.vIf your just a little handy its no problem to install it by yourself. Most of them are installed without drilling. For adapters, connectors and other big stuff you could use a conduit box big enough.

(I am german and translated "Kabelkanal" with "conduit" - hope its the correct term)

This is what I am talking about:
41jf8ylRP9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

30$ is too expensive for just a plasticbox. Even 4,99 would be rip off in my eyes. I think you will find the right one in your local hardware store.

benjayman2

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
I found shoebox's the gf had and just took some time to cut slots for the cables to come out of.
Total cost = $0

I'll try to post pictures of it later.

ardensmith

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
cable management

Cable management refers to an important step during the installation of building services (i.e. electrical services) and the subsequent installation of equipment providing means to tidily secure electrical, data, and other cables. The term is often used interchangeably to refer to products used for the purpose of managing cables or to the workmanship carried out to cables whilst being installed. Cable management is important in many fields, such as IT, communications, power distribution, facility wiring, local area networks, etc.

The purpose of cable management is twofold: to support the cables whilst being routed through the building from Point A to B (often called containment), and to make subsequent management of the cables through the lifetime of the installation easier.

Thanks

Mawal

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I bought the cable box, I stuffed in it

- an Airport Express
- a gigabit switch
- an external V-Dac
- a multiple socket
- cable

you can see it next to the chair

70a0be02.jpg

It was a good investment.

benjayman2

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
Awesome looking setup mawal. Did you already post this in thread in the picture gallery? If so, I must have missed it.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011

- an Airport Express
- a gigabit switch
- an external V-Dac
- a multiple socket
- cable

70a0be02.jpg

That's one of the cleanest setups I've ever seen. I could only wish mine looked so good.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm a fan of spiral wrap in a color to match whatever it's sitting on/in front of and/or velcro cable management bands. I used white spiral wrap to make the bundle of ten wires going to my wall-mounted TV and surrounding speakers nearly invisible without needing to put holes in the wall (it's a rental). Both are relatively cheap and relatively good looking, although you run into issues if you've got a lot of excess cable to deal with and don't have anything to hide it in a coil behind.

For anything that's installed and doesn't need to get moved, I'm a massive fan of zip ties. Put them with those stick-on holders and you can hide basically anything up to and including entire power strips under tables and along furniture legs. You can get a huge tub of them for a few bucks at the hardware store.

A fun one I just did at work to get all the power strips off the floor was to buy heavy-duty stick-on velcro strips and use them to mount the power strips to the underside of the desks. Functionally invisible, no hole drilling, and I can pull them off if I need to for whatever reason.

Mawal

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Awesome looking setup mawal. Did you already post this in thread in the picture gallery? If so, I must have missed it.

thanks, and yes I posted it already in gallery.

I always keep it that way, I consider it as my shrine...sorts off..

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
Cable management refers to an important step during the installation of building services (i.e. electrical services) and the subsequent installation of equipment providing means to tidily secure electrical, data, and other cables. The term is often used interchangeably to refer to products used for the purpose of managing cables or to the workmanship carried out to cables whilst being installed. Cable management is important in many fields, such as IT, communications, power distribution, facility wiring, local area networks, etc.

The purpose of cable management is twofold: to support the cables whilst being routed through the building from Point A to B (often called containment), and to make subsequent management of the cables through the lifetime of the installation easier.

Thanks

Ah, thanks. I very often need the titles of threads defined for me.

GD0X

Mar 20, 2011

- an Airport Express
- a gigabit switch
- an external V-Dac
- a multiple socket
- cable

70a0be02.jpg

gorgeous!

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Although I love the trackpads on Macbooks, if I were sitting at a desk, I'd prefer to use a regular mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.