cable mix up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khunxhor, Jan 30, 2008.

1. khunxhor macrumors member

So I think I understand but really need to double check because I dont have much time before my presentation.

I need to connect my mb to a t.v. in class for a powerpoint presentation (the projector isnt available). I first need to figure out what kind of connection the t.v. permits. Correct?

Is VGA/DVI/HDMI correlated to the type of the t.v. or how new/old it is? Meaning an older model (Sony, box-ish) will be a certain type, and a brand new flat lcd will be another type? Will it be written what type of connection it permits? I believe it has that slot for the three colored cables.... Tonight is my last class meeting so I will check everything, I just want to know what to look for.

I'm quoting this from a previous post that i searched:

"If the TV has an HDMI port then what you can do is this.

Get the MiniDVI - DVI adapter
    Get a DVI - HDMI cable"

Cant i just purchase the "Xtreme Mac Xtreme HD, HDMI cable" listed for 19.95 instead of going through all of this?

thank a bunch

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

If it is an older TV, or even a new one it will almost certainly have the Red, White, and Yellow

Red is for right side audio, White is for left side audio, and Yellow is for video. So, you get the MiniDVI-Video adapter, run a cable from that to the Yellow port (any color cable will do, so long as it fits)

Then, get a 1/8th -> RCA Stereo adapter and run it from the headphone jack on your macbook to the Red/White connectors on the back.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Look at the TV, write down model number if you do not know what the ports look like.

Composite (Red, White, Yellow)
    Component (4 colors)
    HDMI (sort of twice as wide as USB)

You probably want to test it a day before presentation.

Keep in mind Composite input will be really low quality, text will be difficult to read.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Composite is really only 1 color yellow
    Component is 3 colors, Red Green Blue
    HDMI does sort of look like USB
    DVI is about an inch wide, half an inch tall and has 28 small pins and is almost always white in color
    VGA is about 3/4" wide, half an inch tall, with 15 pins and is almost always blue in color

5. khunxhor thread starter macrumors member

last night, I checked the model number, it is a SHARP 27K-S300 manufactured 1998.....:eek:

I think renting a projector or finding a someone who is willing to let me use it is a better idea. This T.V. is so old.

It has yellow, white, red in the front labeled: Video IN2 L-Audio R

Back has an S video slot (circle with 4 pins and one bar)
    and another red, yellow, white also on the back

this didnt exactly match order-wise, but i think i would consider this "composite"
    let me just bug you with one more question, if I were to rent a projector, I would not need to purchase any cables correct? I mean, the projector has a cable that I plug straight into my mb?

thanks for the help guys

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, the MacBook uses a MiniDVI slot, so unless the Projector comes with that cable... then don't count on it.

Get a Projector with a VGA or DVI input and then get the appropriate MiniDVI-<insert DVI or VGA here> adapter, and the cable of course.