Cable modem and Airport Express DHCP conflict

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slobizman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. slobizman macrumors member

I have a new ATT DSL modem set up at my daughter's house. It's a simple Motorola DSL modem that is not wireless. Today I attempted to connect an Airport Express to it. Didn't exactly work out.

I had no problem getting the internet to it and keep the light green. But the problem is, even though I believe I tried about every way possible to set it up right, I kept getting the following error, AFTER the Airport Utility told me Congratulations that it was set up correctly:

"192.168.1.64 in use by 00:1f:06:e:6a, DHCP Server 192.168.1.254"

I tried this on a MacBook pro and a Macbook with the same result. I also tried a PC and it connected once, yet never connected after that.

So, there is some sort of conflict and I'm not savvy enough to figure it out. BTW, the ATT service is the $19.99 basic service, nothing special.

I really don't want to go into the modem and mess with the settings; what's the trick to get the Express configured right? And, I did bridge mode, regular mode, and everything else I can think of. ATT did not provide me with IP addresses I should know about.

I'd like to get this working, but I guess if not, I can replace my cable modem with the ATT Wireless Gateway and have it all in one package, but that's not a versatile as having the Express.

Thanks!

P.S. I saw this problem elsewhere on the net with no real resolution.

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Are you using a cable modem or DSL? if its a DSL you have to set the router up Using PPPoE, cable is DHCP.

PPPoE settings requires a username, and password and you clone your MAC address.

Cable modem you set it up as DHCP and the settings are automatic.

Where I live AT&T is all DSL they do not offer Cable.

Hope this helps.

Run Network Diagnostics and post back or post screenshot of what network Diagnostics says.

--Eric

P.S. Did you run airport setup assistant?

3. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Oops, I meant DSL

So sorry about that! It's a DSL modem (I'll see if I can fix my post above)

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Set your Airport Express up to serve DHCP IP's to your Mac using the 10.0.1.0 IP range instead of 192.168.*

5. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the details. I'm going to be going to my daughter's house tomorrow to try this. I'm a little confused on where the Airport Utility pages I do that. Could you be specific? I'm new to Mac's and it's all a bit confusing.

Thanks.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In your utilities>Airport Utility app your Airport Express should look something similar to this. Keep in mind the pic is of a Time Capsule but the Airport Express shows something about the same.

Attached Files:

7. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for your time. :)

So, do I start by setting it in "bridge mode"?

8. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

No don't set it up as a wireless bridge unless you have 2 routers hooked up.

--Eric