cable modem internet "enhancer" and article about how fast japan's connection is

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benlangdon, May 5, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

anyone know of anything that will let me use my whole bandwidth.

my internet with stay no higher than 100kb/s but will peak for a second or two to maybe 200kb/s. i seem to remember my service provider saying 500kb/s.

:mad:

i mean japan is getting 1.5gb/s
    http://e.a.cnn.net/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/index.html

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Simply put, it's a small, technologically advanced country. No surprise they have those speeds.

3. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Sad thing is most countries have better/bigger bandwidth pipes than America.

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Yep. Japan can stream 1080p television to a 60-inch panel without a hiccup.

6. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Huh? I was just stating that its sad that we're left in the dust when it comes to connections in comparison to most other countries. Yes I know America is big land wise, but I see that as no real excuse for currently not having a working option for actual broadband and not this 8mb stuff all of the cable companies are passing off as "super fast."

7. tanktowns56 macrumors newbie

i wish i had a connection at 8 mbps.....i have dial-up......40 kbps speeds at 2-4 kbps downloads

8. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Ouch. Where in the US do you live that theres no mb connection?

9. tanktowns56 macrumors newbie

hayesville nc......or more accurately put middle of nowhere they just recently put fiber in on the road mine is attached to but it would cost 100s to get them to run the line up to our house.....in other words im screwed stuck with dial up

10. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i would pay for fiber optic cable right now.

three computers on one cable line. i can use all of it up myself let alone when others are on.

things that should be downloaded in an hour take days.

i wish there was something that actually made all of your bandwidth usable. i mean half of it is used at one time is a rare occurrence.

sure people surf the web
    but many people download things, and play games.

just ranting now until someone makes a program that does that.

maybe when in 4 years when i know something i can make this but i want it now.

11. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

if i had 1gb/s
    i would suck some ...

this **** is ridiculous uploading is a joke.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That is the excuse. Cable companies could try to get broadband to as many people as possible, or they could spend millions more getting super fast internet to a few people. Given the size of America and how expensive that would be, it's pretty obvious which they should take.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

About 10 years ago (holy **** has it really been that long? :eek: ) my local cable company ran fiber along all the poles. There's no fiber going to the house, but we still get 5/2 (last I checked anyway, plus there's the 15/2 option).

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

add to it what really gets the US is population density or more to the point the lack of it. Because of that it takes a lot more money per person to get the lines and everything laid out for the higher speeds. This is one of the largest reason the US is behind so to speak in internet and cell technology.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you're saying population density is the reason? It makes sense, but that would mean countries with a lower population density should have slower internet options than the US. That wasn't the case with Canada a long time ago, although I'm not sure what the situation is now. We had one of the best telecommunications system in the world at one time, and when an American was asked to comment on it (saw this on TV), the person said, "Well that's what you get for investing heavily in it", which implies that they didn't. At the moment, I'd figure that America's Hat (i.e.: Canada) has internet speeds comparable to the US, not 9x worse.

Anyway, all we have to do to see if the population density excuse holds water is to look at countries with comparable population density to the USA, and compare speed.

16. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Canada might not be the best example. A significant majority of Canadians live in or around the few very developed areas, and right up against the border to boot.

17. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well than why haven't places like new york city or other densely populated areas even try it?

i mean ****. i know companies have t1 connections or something, can't we bridge off that?

18. spooky mulder macrumors regular

"i mean japan is getting 1.5gb/s"

are you serious? why isn't america involved in upgrading our systems to something that could remotely match that? I'm sure it could be done, and wonder when we'll see something like that happen... I read somewhere else that they were calling our " super high speed internet" a joke as it is not even supposed to be called that tec..

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Come on, you're talking about the country that has Sony Bravia mobile phones. It's an entirely different market. Sorry folks, you lose. Japanese companies make stuff that works great in Japan, forgetting that the rest of the world isn't there yet. Then they re-release it elsewhere when "it's time".

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

then you run into our other problem in the US. It is big. This means the backbone of the internet is very spread out. Huge backbone system means it will be very costly to upgrade it. It can not be done just one city at a time but multiple cities would need it to get it up and running at those speeds.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That doesn't make sense. Population density takes size/area into consideration.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is both. Size and density are both need to be taken into account.

The US major population centers are very spread out. (compared to over seas) the major population centers are very close together.
    The US has a lot of major cities so that adds to the problem of upgrading the system.

Even in those centers it is still a lower population density.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Canada's telecom industry is total crap, though. The speeds may be there, but the amount of traffic throttling and the bandwidth capping [should be] criminal. US internet providers and cellphone networks are superior in many ways.

24. GradientMac macrumors regular

GradientMac

And anyway, I have to pay $106.99 a month in Canada for 400 kbps down right now because we used to live rurally and we got locked into a 3 [!!] year contract to get that price for a stupid air card. We live in the city now and it's even SLOWER because of the fact that there's so much more data traffic.

The internet is becoming the new phone, the government needs to get high speed internet everywhere and soon, before we start depending on it more then we already do.

25. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ha fur sure
    heck you can use the internet as a telephone