Cable Modem Selection Help Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Detlev, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Detlev macrumors 6502a

Does it matter which modem is used? I am using a Time Machine connected to an old-ish Motorola cable/broadband modem (SB4200). I have been paying rent for the modem for a number of years and have more than paid for the purchase cost. I want to eliminate the monthly rental cost so have figured I will purchase a modem. Which works best and why? I don't see anything that says one is faster than another or that one is more secure than another.

My assumption is that it is just an access point and any security I have is built into the Time Machine. Is this correct?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Best to check with your ISP first, before asking for help here.

Some ISPs will require you to use their modems, even if you purchase it from them. At the very least, they should be able to provide a list of compatible modems.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the SB5101 and Motorola makes good cable modems.

4. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Check with your ISP to see if they have an official compatibility list. You should get the latest version of Docsis (3.0), which is the name of the standard that specifies the protocol used. In case you buy on the used market, someone might try to sell you an older version.

Otherwise, you can probably also decide on other features like wireless access, the number of ethernet ports, size, power consumption, etc.