Cable Modem upgrade... what a difference

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by xlii, Sep 30, 2009.

1. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I never thought that my 9 year old shark fin cable modem would be the bottle neck but it was. I just upgraded to a docsis 3.0 and speedtest.net now gives me a download speed of 28-31 Mbps and a upload speed of from 5.5-6.8 Mbps. The old shark fin maxed out at a download speed of 5 Mbps and an upload speed of 1 Mbps.

Edit: What finally got me off the dime was all these years I've been renting that cable modem. Got a letter from Comcast saying that the rental fee was going up from $3 to $5 dollars a month. So I took the leap and bought a Motorola 6120.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

does millis have fios or are you on comcast

3. xlii thread starter macrumors 68000

xlii

I have Comcast basic service. I'm paying for I think it's capped at 12 down and 2 up. But reading some of the replies on the amazon website about these docsis 3.0 cable modems... when you plug one into a docsis 3.0 service which comcast now has in Millis a lot of the folks there got the same kind of speed improvement I did even though they are not paying for that kind of speed. BTW the ping was 10ms in the early morning and 17-21 during the busy time of the day testing with speedtest.net.

4. xlii thread starter macrumors 68000

xlii

Millis has Comcast cable tv, internet, and phone.
    Millis also had FIOS Internet and phone... but NO FIOS Cable TV.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

nice......I am stuck with farter cable in Holden.
    Doubt we will ever see FIOS.