Cable modems and surge protectors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bob5820, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Had a problem with the internet a while back and Roadrunner ended up replacing the modem. Before he changed the modems he noticed that I had the cable connected from the wall to my surge protector and then to the modem, rather then connecting dirctly from the wall to the modem. He said that putting a surge protector in the loop was a bad idea and could lead to a lot of problems, though I can't remember if this was because of interference or a loss of signal strength. Has any one heard of this before. Isn't it a good idea to run it through the surge protrctor to protect against lightning strikes. From what I remember reading in the past a lightning srike is far more likely to travel down a telephone or cable line then it is through your electrical wiriing.

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have heard that before but not so sure it is true. I however have not had any problems and I have it plugged in that way.

3. luffx macrumors regular

Most surge protectors have poor signal throughput on their Coax lines, it's not a clean signal. I'm sure if you have a decent model, it'll be fine.

Edit: If you really need it, I'd recommend a Monster Protector. Their products have worked great for me in the past, and they're are always boasting how minimal their RF loss is.

4. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

From what I've heard, as long as your cable lines are underground, you should be ok. It's only if you have overhead lines that you should worry about a surge.