Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nxfxcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hello,

i hope this is the right forum, i have 2 LARGE boxes filled with cables, USB Firewire, Adapters, Dongles, AV HDMI, RGB DVI and so on.

As of this point they are one large ball of cables. And every i need something i spend 2 hours untangling, does any of you know of any good organization tools, cable boxes with some kinds of wrap arounds etc.

Just something to keep it organized? Last year i had my 10 year old wrap them all up with tape and sort them, but that did not last long.

I tried to google it, but all i get is tools for cables in use, nothing for storage,

THANK YOU

Lurch.

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
It is possible that someone makes something that fits your aim, but Ive certainly never seen it.
Cables = spaghetti - unfortunately, its a fact of life.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, I just keep a roll of electrical tape and a bag of rubber bands handy near the box where I store my cables. The only way I've found of managing them is to be diligent about wrapping them up before putting them in there. One of those big bags of rubber bands from an office supply store goes a LONG ways towards this, but the rubber bands don't last forever (ie. they eventually dry out and break).

Also, I occasionally move all the cables that I am not likely to use any time soon to a separate box in the basement. The upstairs box is only for stuff that may come in handy in the relatively near future.

websyndicate

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Spokane Valley,WA
Hello,

I work for a Microsoft data center and Have worked in IT for years the best thing I say is buy a roll of velcro and cut it to the size needed. That how almost all big IT places do it.

websyndicate

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Spokane Valley,WA
See how uniform it looks

Attachments

• microsoft-washington-data-center.gif
    microsoft-washington-data-center.gif
    143.7 KB · Views: 99

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=cable straps&origkw=cable straps&sr=1

Use these. Roll em up from elbow to hand and then put these on em. Then you can lie em flat in a box. Color code them so you just need to pull out a red one for a usb cable, blue for firewire, etc.

Those are great for cables that you are going to use regularly, but at .60/each, just way too expensive for the dozens of cables many of us keep around just in case...

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Those are great for cables that you are going to use regularly, but at .60/each, just way too expensive for the dozens of cables many of us keep around just in case...

15 bucks for two dozen of them. Can't possibly be a deal breaker for a mac owner. I guess you can make your own with twist ties from a hobby shake.

imeridian

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010

I just bought 10 packs of 6" velcro cable ties from Monoprice.com for less than $4.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I just bought 10 packs of 6" velcro cable ties from Monoprice.com for less than $4.

How many in the packs?

As much as I like the velcro, I still prefer rubber bands for quick and easy organization because it's quicker than putting the velcro on. YMMV. :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I've used both of these. Velcro is more flexible. Nylon is easier to nail through (drill a hole first).

Velcro, 8", $6.81 pkg of 100:
http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-91140/dp/B001E1Y5O6

Nylon, start at $46 box of 1000:
http://www.uline.com/BL_3204/Releasable-Cable-Ties

I still have more than half a box of 1000, after at least 5 years, and even giving away handfuls to some friends. I bought the shortest ones, and when I need longer wraps, I just link two or more together.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I put each different cord in a ziplock bag in a drawer. It's not too difficult to keep up with and is infinitely easier to find things, plus there's no untangling needed!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Releasable cable ties are like $5-6 for a pack of 100 on Monoprice.

I coil up my cables and then use two of the cable ties to secure them. Then I put them in a zip-lock bag and label the bag with the length, cable type, and condition.

I have at least a dozen boxes full of cables and I still buy new cables, so it goes to show I'm doing a lot of work for nothing. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.